Hands On With The Atomic Pi As A $35 Intel Atom Alternative To The Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
    Does it come with a free amazing Management Engine core?
    afaik Atom hardware has a very cut-down and limited version of the ME firmware.

Given that you have easy access to the board firmware chip, you can neuter it with the usual tool https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner

Comment

I didn't think this was bad at all.

Imagine an ARM board in a nutshell: Same limited RAM, storage and ports, same wattage CPU (5W 24-core A53 Socionext SC2A11), and equally unsuitable for Youtube consumption.

The difference is that it would cost 10 times more and wouldn't run mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
        I didn't think this was bad at all.

Imagine an ARM board in a nutshell: Same limited RAM, storage and ports, same wattage CPU (5W 24-core A53 Socionext SC2A11), and equally unsuitable for Youtube consumption.

The difference is that it would cost 10 times more and wouldn't run mainline.
        a 24-core ARM device will not have as bad connectivity and so little RAM due to what it's supposed to be doing (server roles)

Comment

Originally posted by 8r34k0u7_57y13 View Post
          Just keep in mind, whilst powerful for a SBC - they're limited-life parts due to the LPC clock bug. Don't use one for something you expect to last a long time.
          I was going to mention this as well. Some of our hardware using this silicon has already died. I'm surprised Intel is still selling these SOCs with massive design flaw!

Comment

Originally posted by esmth View Post

I was going to mention this as well. Some of our hardware using this silicon has already died. I'm surprised Intel is still selling these SOCs with massive design flaw!
            They aren't, Intel released revised steppings of the hardware that corrects that flaw.

Comment

Originally posted by 8r34k0u7_57y13 View Post
              Just keep in mind, whilst powerful for a SBC - they're limited-life parts due to the LPC clock bug. Don't use one for something you expect to last a long time.
              I still think it's a good value for $35 if it lasts 18-35 months.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                That's not what a SBC is for, if you need a mini-pc you just go and buy a mini-pc.

Wake up sheeple!
                What is you problem, your majesty? If I have a TV, but not have a computer, I am not allowed to use this 35$ SBC with my TV as a basic computer for internet?

It's oversized as fuck, that's a 2W part, even if I think Intel is blatantly lying and it's actually more like 4-6w.
                Not necessarily. BS such as "TDP" and similar are a marketing scam. The actuall maximal power under constant full load can be even 10 times higher or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobodan View Post
                  If I have a TV, but not have a computer, I am not allowed to use this 35$ SBC with my TV as a basic computer for internet?
                  That's not my point.
                  The issue here is that you sheeple think you will spend 35$ when in fact you will be spending more like 80$ plus a bunch of hours and whining on forums to troubleshoot random bullshit you would not be dealing with if you got a finished product for a similar total price, and you will still end up with an inferior experience.

You want to go this way? be my guest. But just know that I'll be drinking your delicious tears.

BS such as "TDP" and similar are a marketing scam. The actuall maximal power under constant full load can be even 10 times higher or so.
                  this is plain bs.
                  The only place where TDP is a scam is for Intel low power parts.

Also the "10 times higher" figure is way offscale even for spike loads. Do you know that people can measure power consumption with tools connected to the mains socket right? These things simply cannot pull more than 10w from the wall.

Comment

you sheeple
                    Your mother.

These things simply cannot pull more than 10w from the wall.
                    Just because your power adapter can not supply more power (and thus "cannot pull more than 10w from the wall") does not mean that this CPU cannot consume more power.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobodan View Post
                      Your mother.
                      No, YOUR mother.

Just because your power adapter can not supply more power
                      that's not how power distribution works, you sheepson.

If your load is asking more power than what the PSU can provide the voltage will drop dramatically. This causes instability in digital systems.
                      Case on point: some older Apple macbooks that had a undersized power brick that was unable to provide full power for the system 100% load, so they needed to be run with the battery inside at all times. The battery was used to provide additional power in case more was required. These systems would simply crash if loaded more than say 60% without a battery.

Comment

Working...
                      X