X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    Not knowing much about what's going on myself with that change, did the dev submitting the patch explain/document it? I'd assume changing the bits to different values like that if not standard/spec could cause unexpected problems elsewhere? They cited Intel and TI according to the article, but there's no other information about it, was it just trying different values and choosing one that gave the best I/O results?
    Yeah I was thinking pretty much the same thing verbatim.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Not knowing much about what's going on myself with that change, did the dev submitting the patch explain/document it? I'd assume changing the bits to different values like that if not standard/spec could cause unexpected problems elsewhere? They cited Intel and TI according to the article, but there's no other information about it, was it just trying different values and choosing one that gave the best I/O results?

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    I wish they would come up with some "VESA standard" or something which dictates how some basic accelerated functions should work and everyone should have those as a minimum and then they can do whatever fancy stuff they like in whatever way they want on top of that.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    Why do SOC venders still think NDAs and blobs without source are profitable? The most open SBC vender (rpi) soled 20 million units. The second best supported SBC vender (Odroid) sells out. RISC-V can't come soon enough.
    Unfortunately, SOC vendors don't give a crap about SBCs. In most cases, SBCs only make a small percentage of SOC sales. RPi was sort of the exception - marketing had a lot to do with its popularity, but it got popular before it got proper open drivers.
    RISC-V is not going to fix this problem. The core architecture is open source but that doesn't mean anything else about it has to be. I'm confident that most GPUs made for it will have blob drivers, just like ARM does.

Regardless, I do agree that these closed drivers are a loss in profits. It'd be one thing if these companies would actually properly maintain their drivers and make them easy to install, like Nvidia does. But they don't. Their releases are always crappy and make system maintenance a nightmare. ARM has lost so much traction in Linux because of video drivers being so crippling.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Why do SOC venders still think NDAs and blobs without source are profitable? The most open SBC vender (rpi) soled 20 million units. The second best supported SBC vender (Odroid) sells out. RISC-V can't come soon enough.
    That's peanuts if compared to the amount of sales of Allwinner SoCs to random shitty OEMs, especially in china.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    It's departmental politics. The software guys want their work to have monetary value that competes against the hardware department for when it's time to choose who gets promoted / their curriculum vitae.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ssam
    replied
    Nice. These boards have also recently gained main line graphics and video acceleration.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X