No announcement yet.

A Number Of Logitech Mouse/Keyboard Support Improvements Coming To Linux 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Number Of Logitech Mouse/Keyboard Support Improvements Coming To Linux 5.2

Phoronix: A Number Of Logitech Mouse/Keyboard Support Improvements Coming To Linux 5.2

With next month's Linux 5.2 kernel merge window there are a number of notable improvements queued up for improving the Logitech hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I feel sorry for anyone who actually "benefits" from this. I've vowed to never buy Logitech ever again after having their crap constantly break. So much money wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      I feel sorry for anyone who actually "benefits" from this. I've vowed to never buy Logitech ever again after having their crap constantly break. So much money wasted.
      I've been using the same Logitech G3 Gaming Mouse since 2007. (Wired, ambidextrous, an IR laser sensor for no light pollution, and a hardware DPI toggle button)

If that dies, I'll probably get a Logitech G203 since it's the closest thing I currently know of, there's a Linux utility to turn off the lighting, and it's got non-volatile memory for settings so, worst case, I plug it into my brother's PC to configure it.

...thought I did buy a Gen-1 Logitech G15 Gaming keyboard at the time, which required G15Daemon. I wound up eventually giving that to my gamer brother and buying a Cherry MX Blue-based mechanical keyboard with a bog-standard US 104 layout and then, later, ebaying Unicomp's bog-standard US 104 buckling spring board which was discontinued in 2013... and, later still, a couple of spares in case something breaks which I can't order spare parts for.

Some day, it'd be nice if someone were to offer a bog-standard US 104 board using clones of the IBM Model F switches. The closest you can really get is remap the function keys on this terminal keyboard and find somewhere near the proper locations to stuff the Windows and Context Menu keys. They're hard to find and definitely not cheap.

My brother's still using the G15 without issue and, aside from needing G15Daemon for it under Linux to get the macro and media keys working, the only Logitech peripheral I ever had a problem with was a minimal-cost entry-level mouse which died back before 2007. (Well, aside from needing to open up my G3 to remove lint from the scroll wheel's optical encoder disk, but that happens with any long-lived mouse.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 28 April 2019, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Sometime last year, after an update on Arch, my Logitech K400 Plus (wireless keyboard/trackpad) causes a strange crash in Xorg if I press any of the special function keys like XF86Back, XF86HomePage, etc.

I just have to be very careful not to ever press those keys.

Maybe it will fix it.

Comment

All my Logitech mice broke after a couple of years. I got a Deathadder to replace my last Logitech approx 10 years ago, it's still going fine. I still miss the freewheeling scroll though!

Comment

I am really surprised, I have had no Logitech mouse or keyboard break, even well beyond 10 years of use, and it's the first time I've read anything like that. I agree that their Linux support is crap to say the least, but hardware-wise it's really my goto brand to recommend. I'm interested in more feedback too !

Comment

Originally posted by TazKhaelyor View Post
              I am really surprised, I have had no Logitech mouse or keyboard break, even well beyond 10 years of use
              I still have a Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro keyboard which I don't use anymore since it's a membrane keyboard - but works and I used it for well over a decade. There's no text on most of the keycaps (which aren't replaceable). It was part of a keyboard+mouse set and the mouse did eventually break.

Other things from Logitech, on the other hand.. I bought a headset from them a dozen years ago and it broke within months.

Comment

What models?

I'm not seeing massive breaking in their Unifying product lineup, and I used them for years. Can't speak for other lines.

Comment

I have quite a few 20+ y.o. logitech keyboards and mouses that still works fine, even after years and years of use. Their gamepads (while heavy and kinda ugly IMO) are the only one that survives the abuse from my nephews (dropping/throwing them when they lose,...), my G500 mouses (one at work, one at home) are closing on 10 years heavy service without a single issue and still feeling quite new (only the left side anti-slip shows some wear, and still nothing major, clean plastic underneath). My previous Logitech mouse (MX500) is still in service over 15 years after purchase for my mom's computer...

I don't have any experience with their headsets, but my Z-640 5.1 speaker set still works after close to 15 years too, even though I would like it to break a bit so I can have a reason to buy a new one with Bluetooth capability...

I'm not a fanboy, nor a PR of the brand, but if there has been some shift in quality I'ld love to hear it so I stop recommending them though...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    What models?
                    Personally, I really like the K800 wireless keyboard and I don't want to use another one. I use it at work for years, but this model does not hold more than one year (broken keys). Generally, Logitech has to send me 2 replacement ones under warranty, and I need to buy a new one approximately every 3 years (when the warranty is over).

Previously I was also using Anywhere MX mice but I have stopped because using it at work after killing 3 in less than two years. On the other side, I use a G602 gaming mouse for near three years now without any problem and I am very happy with it.

I like Logitech products, but they did not necessary long last anymore like in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X