Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODROID-N2 Offer Six Cortex-A73/A53 Cores For $65~82, Good Performance In Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Depends a lot on what you're doing with it.
    I was mainly thinking in terms of just pure performance, I guess I'll try it out to see what, if any, difference there is. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with it yet, and of course right after I ordered it, I saw the Atomic Pi that is cheaper and has better performance and more compatible with existing software, and wifi, and bluetooth... and can you tell I wish I had got it instead? But I'll be the only one using it, unless I turn it into a retrogaming system and the kids play games on it. Might run Android and use it for a Youtube TV system in place of a cable box.

Comment

Originally posted by skeetre View Post
      right after I ordered it, I saw the Atomic Pi that is cheaper and has better performance
      I'm quite impressed that they managed to offer it for only $35, but I really don't believe it's faster. It's based on the Airmont core, which is a 14 nm version of the power-optimized Silvermont core that Intel introduced in 2013.

It's far from the first SBC based on those SoCs, but probably one of the cheapest. The first that came to my attention was the original UP board (https://up-board.org/up/specifications/ ).

I'll be the only one using it, unless I turn it into a retrogaming system and the kids play games on it. Might run Android and use it for a Youtube TV system in place of a cable box.
      Well, the point was that those exploits create vulnerabilities to malicious code running on your box. For most people, the main risk will be javascript and other web code running in your browser. Even so, I'm not really sure how portable such malicious code would be, and Linux on ARM is a pretty small niche for anyone to be targeting. It's a stretch to say you should worry about it, but then if you get satisfactory performance with the mitigations enabled, you could just leave them on.

It's more like if you were going to use this thing in a robot or as a software development machine that you might want maximum performance and not really have scenario where malicious code should get to run on it.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        Well I'd hardly call consecutive messages addressing the same person particularly well structured...
        Maybe you're one of those idiots who treats email like a chat app, replying to the last message someone sent them as a way to start a discussion on a completely new topic, without so much as even changing the subject line. Or, maybe you're just being intentionally obtuse.

Either way, I don't reply to people - I reply to posts. I prefer not to conflate different threads of a discussion by intermingling them, as it tends to complicate the task of piecing together the discussion history, if/when needed. That's how I roll, and I see no need to treat these forum posts differently. You might not like that, but it turns out you don't have to (read on).

If there's any sin I regret, it's sometimes replying before reading to see if anyone else has made the same point. I often delete those posts, though I don't always get to finish reading the comments to see whom I'm repeating, before I get interrupted.

Seeing how you consider even a polite request something to literally roll your eyes at it seems like you're just a really anti-social person
        Being so blessed with social graces, yourself, that's quite an indictment. Needless to say, it was quite hypothetical, in this case. And a polite request for something unreasonable is still an unreasonable request. Yes, I consider it unreasonable and rude to impose your priorities on my conversation style, all because you're too lazy to do anything else to avoid the trivial annoyance of a very occasional extra email. It was my mistake to think that a reasonable discussion could ensue from an unreasonable request. Lesson learned.

So, I'll right that wrong, here and now. I won't be changing the way I reply. I apologize for capitulating, previously - I now see that was in error and served only to encourage you. Here are some of the many things you can do about it:
        1. Visit this link: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/settings/notifications and change Email Notifications to: Off, Daily, or Weekly.
        2. On the same page, disable notifications on "Quotes you in a post"
        3. Setup an email filter, to divert these notifications into a folder, where they won't bother you so much.
        4. Change the notifications to go to a different email account. I'm surprised if you don't already have at least one other email account to use for likely sources of spam.
        5. Visit this link: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/settings/account and block me. Right at the bottom, in the "Ignore" box. Go ahead. I really don't mind not getting any further replies from you.
        6. Go do something else. It's pretty sad that you apparently have nothing better to do than carry on this thread.

Well why do you then start going on about EEC memory, RAID arrays, backups and other things
        I already answered that. Data integrity is a prerequisite for high uptime, but not synonymous with it. If you can't understand this basic concept, I can't help you.

Seriously, I already pointed out that I'm doing offline backups.
        Backups don't help much, if you're actually backing up corrupted data.

two mechanical drives in a raid array failed catastrophically and suddenly in rapid succession.
        RAID is merely a tool. As such, it can be used well or poorly. Perhaps the RAID level was inappropriate for the array size, or one of numerous other considerations wasn't taken into account. It's hard to say, without more detail, but I think it wouldn't be productive to try to postmortem that, here.

I'd tell you to shut up about that superfluous crap, but you'd probably consider it to be on par with some obscenity laden tirade calling your mother a whore.
        You can literally drop the topic at any time. If someone replies to a point in my post, then I consider the topic open for further discussion. If they don't, I almost never go back to earlier posts in a discussion to revive a topic. If your issue is that you need to have the last word on something, that's not up to you - although, it can often be influenced by what words you choose to have.

And speaking of words, putting them in my mouth is entirely unnecessary. You should know I'm quite capable of expressing myself.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Maybe you're one of those idiots who treats email like a chat app, replying to the last message someone sent them as a way to start a discussion on a completely new topic, without so much as even changing the subject line. Or, maybe you're just being intentionally obtuse.
          Writing multiple subsequent messages to reply to the same person really doesn't clarify anything and only adds unnecessary clutter to the conversation. Normal people have a conversation with other people, not with things that they've said. The fact that this seems to be a downright alien concept to you would suggest that you probably should get out more.

Being so blessed with social graces, yourself, that's quite an indictment. Needless to say, it was quite hypothetical, in this case. And a polite request for something unreasonable is still an unreasonable request. Yes, I consider it unreasonable and rude to impose your priorities on my conversation style, all because you're too lazy to do anything else to avoid the trivial annoyance of a very occasional extra email. It was my mistake to think that a reasonable discussion could ensue from an unreasonable request. Lesson learned.
          As I said, you really do seem to be one of those people that nobody just wants to be around because of how anti-social and rude they are. We're not talking about anything major here, we're talking about something genuinely minor. I can guess what a nightmare it must have been for your mother to get you properly toilet trained as a child. Worse yet, you're literally the only person on this site that does this which makes your suggestion that everyone should change their notification settings to suit you personally a silly suggestion to say the least.

I'm really not kidding here. Your're genuinely the only person that follows this logic that goes completely counter to how an actual conversation between people works.

I already answered that. Data integrity is a prerequisite for high uptime, but not synonymous with it. If you can't understand this basic concept, I can't help you. Backups don't help much, if you're actually backing up corrupted data.
          Didn't I already point out that Git has data integrity tools built in?

RAID is merely a tool. As such, it can be used well or poorly. Perhaps the RAID level was inappropriate for the array size, or one of numerous other considerations wasn't taken into account. It's hard to say, without more detail, but I think it wouldn't be productive to try to postmortem that, here.
          The thing about RAID is that the most commonly used forms will only survive a single drive failure without any data loss. Raid 0 with 3-way mirroring is pretty rate and RAID 6 is pretty involved with a 4 disk minimum.

You can literally drop the topic at any time. If someone replies to a point in my post, then I consider the topic open for further discussion. If they don't, I almost never go back to earlier posts in a discussion to revive a topic. If your issue is that you need to have the last word on something, that's not up to you - although, it can often be influenced by what words you choose to have.
          Well that's kind of rich coming from someone who's still here replying to people 3 weeks later... I will admit that I can be stubborn and that can lead to me looking like I'm trying to win the argument trough just sheer persistence, but the exact same thing applies to you. Two weeks ago this may have been a valid point, but ship's long since sailed.

And speaking of words, putting them in my mouth is entirely unnecessary. You should know I'm quite capable of expressing myself.
          Putting words into your mouth? I think you probably need to go look up what that means because joking about how someone would react to something really isn't it...

Comment

Normal people have a conversation with other people, not with things that they've said.
            As I suspected, you're unable to see a distinction between structured conversation and chatting. Thanks for confirming that.

As I said, you really do seem to be one of those people that nobody just wants to be around because of how anti-social and rude they are.
            You're the one laying out all the ad hominem attacks and expecting other people to change their behavior to suit your priorities. I offered you a whole raft of solutions that you could've easily found, yourself.

I guess the reason you keep acting so butt-hurt is that you know I'm right but can't accept it. It's only natural that you relieve the resulting cognitive dissonance by lashing out. It's pretty much the only rational explanation for the amount of fuss you're making. If you were merely looking for a solution to your email problem, you have several. And if you were looking to save face, you wouldn't do it by making such an ass of yourself. So, I guess what I should really say is "you're welcome".

you're literally the only person on this site that does this
            First, that's absolutely untrue. Second, I'm not going to dump more time into this sinkhole, to find you examples that perhaps you're now going to demand. Third, if others are bothered, they have exactly the same options as I presented to you. Finally, who appointed you as forum policeman?

The thing about RAID is ...
            What exactly is your position on RAID? Are you arguing that it's bad, because you witnessed an array failure (likely due to it being misapplied)? Would you argue that hammers are bad, because people can misuse them to try to bash in screws? A lot of people have used RAID, with a great deal of success. If you have evidence that RAID is actually bad, then you really should stop wasting time on here and alert the entire world!

Maybe, if someone had shared some helpful advice with your admin, that array failure would've been avoided.

Which brings me to another point - where this all started. I merely tried to offer some helpful advice. As you seem rather keen on "normal people" behavior, it might interest you to know that most people simply brush off unwelcome advice with a "thanks, but no thanks", rather than getting defensive and argumentative. As for my part, I'm happy to continue an exchange as long as I have what I judge to be worthwhile information to offer in response. So, if you're not interested in some advice you're receiving, your best bet is to say so and drop the matter.

Well that's kind of rich coming from someone who's still here replying to people 3 weeks later...
            It's exactly because I had better things to do that I didn't keep up with this. I knew as soon as I replied, I'd get another whiny, entitled, insult-laden response. Who could blame me for de-prioritizing that? Unfortunately, your last post had enough points worthy of response that I didn't want to leave it be.

Putting words into your mouth? I think you probably need to go look up what that means
            Most would agree you not only put words in my mouth by prejudging my response, but also overstepped a line. This is a pretty lame attempt at a save.

I really don't see any good coming from continuing this exchange. Not for you, not for me, and not for the forum.
            Last edited by coder; 19 May 2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Ordered mine last night. I got a micro 64gb usb3 drive for $12.99 the other week that would be great for this.
              How'd it go? I've heard that there can be some issues, especially with the USB storage? Though I wouldn't expect much from a $13 USB drive(stick?) either, I take it that UASP wasn't supported? If it's actually performed well for you, mind sharing what the product was?

Oh, came across one of your later posts:

Update: Tests actually on the N2.
              32gb microSD - 32Mb/s
              32gb eMMC - 153Mb/s (nice!)
              128gb Samsung usb 3 drive - 218 Mb/s

The microSD card reader on the N2 must really slow down the performance. eMMC and USB are working great though.
              Did you get around to testing that 64GB stick/drive out?(sounds like you might not have bought it) I was wondering if the Samsung one mentioned at the end there was a T5 drive(but nope that turns out to be 500GB min), but you later describe it as a thumbdrive, so was it one of these?

Fit Plus: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...-muf-128ab-am/
              Bar Plus: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...muf-128be4-am/

Earlier you shared results for the microSD via USB adapter nearing 100MB/s, but the N2 result was without the adapter? How does it compare with the USB adapter? Interesting to know that it'd be slower without the adapter

Comment

So the 128gb one I'm using is this: https://www.newegg.com/samsung-model...82E16820147722
                The 64gb one worked fine, but I wasn't really using the 128gb for anything else, so I'm using it as my /home on Ubuntu on the N2.
                Performance wasn't quite as good with the 64Gb one either... I can't remember exactly what it was... good, but not as good.

As far as issues with usb storage, it's only when you try to use more than 1 or 2 at a time. Using one is no issue.

The microSD via usb 3 adapter gets the full speed of the microSD, which is rated at 90Mb/s. I can't remember how the 128gb microSD performed... but that's what I'm using for Android on it.

Not sure about UASP, but 218Mb/s is pretty darn good.

If you want, I can do any other tests on it you'd like to see. Here's one I ran to compare to the pi 4, https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...SKEE-190712762, and then here's a bunch of random ones I ran comparing kernels and overclocks, https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...SKEE-190504998.

Comment

Working...
                X