Airtop3 Manages A Passively-Cooled Core i9 9900K + Quadro RTX 4000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airtop3 Manages A Passively-Cooled Core i9 9900K + Quadro RTX 4000

Phoronix: Airtop3 Manages A Passively-Cooled Core i9 9900K + Quadro RTX 4000

The folks at CompuLab have achieved another engineering masterpiece with a passively-cooled PC with an Intel Core i9 9900K processor and up to NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 graphics. Coming out of CompuLab, the PC is also Linux-friendly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For the price and the size of that product, honestly I'd prefer a slow silent fan in there. Even small amounts of air movement can do wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
      For the price and the size of that product, honestly I'd prefer a slow silent fan in there. Even small amounts of air movement can do wonders.
      Agreed, but there are situations (mainly dusty / dirty environments) where you do not want airflow into the chassis. Also places like recording studios where even a noctua fan is too noisy. So there definitely is a market for these products, even if it's not you and me. That said, they do make some *really* nice hardware, world class stuff from this company for sure.

Comment

If it has NVidia graphics, how can it be Linux friendly?

Comment

If it was Ryzen 2600 (or better) with RX 570 8GB (or better), then I'd go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
            If it was Ryzen 2600 (or better) with RX 570 8GB (or better), then I'd go for it.
            I'm waiting for AMD CPU/GPU model, too.

Comment

What a strange CPU choice. Didn't Intel offer a low power, 8C16T i9? Using a overclockable model on a fanless chassis does not compute to me.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Agreed, but there are situations (mainly dusty / dirty environments) where you do not want airflow into the chassis. Also places like recording studios where even a noctua fan is too noisy. So there definitely is a market for these products, even if it's not you and me. That said, they do make some *really* nice hardware, world class stuff from this company for sure.
                Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Place the hardware on the other side of the wall, and cable through. The dusty environment aspect -- you'll still need filters as dust settles, so it's not a complete solution as-is, for a hot cpu like a 9900K.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post

Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Place the hardware on the other side of the wall, and cable through. The dusty environment aspect -- you'll still need filters as dust settles, so it's not a complete solution as-is, for a hot cpu like a 9900K.
                  You don't seem to have a real grasp of the industrial work environments where these kinds of computers are used.

Comment

they must be sponsored by Intel or Nvidia I guess.. I hate that they're not AMD based

Comment

Working...
                    X