Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Launches With Linux Support In Tow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
    I had just taken a look, and nowhere does it say that the AX200 supports CNVI
    Yes, that's my point. I was answering to his "it might be using CNVi " with a "Intel Ark says it does not use CNVi and I would believe that".

Yes, based upon the commits (I had not taken a serious look, however this much I think I had gleaned), and previous behaviour from Intel, I can safely say that the AX200 is, and AX210 will probably be, the standard PCIe/USB(for BT) cards, while the AX201 will definitely be, and the AX211, AX101, and AX411 will probably be, CNVi only.
    Damn. This leaves only Qualcomm.

Comment

Where is anyone seeing any information on the cards other than the AX200? I can't find anything on them.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Yes, that's my point. I was answering to his "it might be using CNVi " with a "Intel Ark says it does not use CNVi and I would believe that".
        Sorry, I had misunderstood the situation.

Damn. This leaves only Qualcomm.
        Meaning?
        If you mean Wireless-AY, the AX210 is called the "Intel WiFi 7 AX210", so it is quite possible for it to support 60Ghz.
        If you are talking about the possibility of Intel's cards all being CNVi only, it's too early to make conclusions.

When the 9260 and 9560 were in development, no one knew about the 9461 and the 9562.
        Likewise, when we only knew about the 22260 and the 22560, no one knew about the AX200 and AX201, and since the 22260 and 22560 are still in the code, I have a hunch that they are merely engineering samples at this point.

We don't even know for sure whether the AX210, AX211, and AX411 (we don't even have a clue what the AX400-series will bring to the table), and we do not yet know what the future generations will bring us, nor when they will be in existence, so we cannot rush to conclusions yet.

Regarding the AX201 and the AX101, I had read on another tech site that their announcements was confirmed by Intel to be in the very near future, with the AX101 being a low cost part (this probably means that it will be a 1x1 part).

I would definitely look at Qualcomm for future developments, but not instead of Intel, only in addition, to prevent a monopoly.
        I personally am miffed that Qualcomm are barely upgrading their M.2 cards, with only their soldered modules seeing real advancements (no BT beyond 4.1, nor support for 160Mhz channels).

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
          Where is anyone seeing any information on the cards other than the AX200? I can't find anything on them.
          iwlwifi-git and Intel WiFi drivers for Windows for now.
          You can also find some of the information on WikiDevi.

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
            Meaning?
            I was talking of the "possibility of Intel's cards all being CNVi only".
            So far Intel and Qualcomm are the only two with decent opensource drivers, at least for PC (afaik newer Broadcomm and Marvell wifi do have open drivers too on router hardware).

I have a strong suspicion that Intel will go the CNVi way across the board, because of many reasons, and it would really suck.

Comment

I was talking of the "possibility of Intel's cards all being CNVi only".
              So far Intel and Qualcomm are the only two with decent opensource drivers, at least for PC (afaik newer Broadcomm and Marvell wifi do have open drivers too on router hardware).

I have a strong suspicion that Intel will go the CNVi way across the board, because of many reasons, and it would really suck.
              I do too, and I too do not like that, however as I had already said, it's too early to make assumptions.

By the way, Broadcom/Avago's open-source router drivers are severely lacking in many cases, since many of the functions are blocked from them by the hardware (think permissions, other parts of the firmware have to be reverse engineered for them to work, similarly, but not the same, as with ARM graphics), no idea about Marvell.

It's ridiculous, but Mediatek has less issues than Broadcom on newer router hardware.
              Last edited by moriel5; 08 April 2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Now that the AX200 is shipping, can somebody who already has it please post some crude benchmark numbers? Thanks in advance!

Comment

I just had one delivered, and will be installing it in an older HP Zbook tonight. I only have 802.11ac waps, though. Will note any support issues and general performance if you'd like, though. I'm currently running an AC9260 that replaced the stock AC 7265.

Comment

I had recently ordered an AX200 (along with another 9260), and it just arrived yesterday, and now my laptop has it inside it (replacing a 9260, which replaced a 7260, which replaced a AC 3165, which replaced a Realtek RTL8211AE).
                    Unfortunately, I cannot make any realistic benchmarks, since I had not even had the time (and some of the knowledge) to properly set up our network in a way that I can be confident in the results, plus our internet connectivity is unstable to to damages to our end of the connection to the local DSLAM (something in between the POTS splitter and the phone jacks in our walls, not sure what yet), not that it matters much, we only pay for 40Mbt/s.

All I can say for now, is that (unsurprisingly) reception is the same (as the card is not in charge of that, the antennaes are), and I do not yet have a way to properly stress-check the card.

Comment

Working...
                    X