Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Launches With Linux Support In Tow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Oh, they aren't mini-PCIe? Damn. I was hoping to get one maybe 2-3 years later.
    You can pretty much leave any hope of finding mini-pcie cards for newer wifi or LTE modems for consumer hardware.

Since the M.2 card form factor and interface is smaller, adapters are a thing. Look for decent m-pcie to M.2 key A/E adapters, unless your laptop is unusually thin you can fit any modern card still.

Here is a picture that shows one of such adapters and a normal wifi M.2 card. They are pretty thin, barely higher than a mini-pcie card is.

Last edited by starshipeleven; 03 April 2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
      (I wonder whether mPCIe can handle those speeds, though).
      Why though. a single PCIe lane can do fine with gigabit ethernet, why would gigabit wifi be different? The PCIe does not care about the medium.

But anyway.

Best theoretical max of the wifi 6 spec with the best protocol and frequency is 1200 Mbit/s, which is 150 MB/s. I highly doubt you can get anywhere near half that in real life but whatever.

m-pcie has a single lane of PCIe 1.0 (usually, it could theoretically have any PCIe revision but for some reason I always see them locked at the 1.0), which provides up to 250 MB/s up and 250 MB/s down at the same time, and it's a pretty efficient bus with low overhead so you are getting close to that in practice.

M.2 key A/E has 2 lanes of PCIe 2.0 (or better), which is something like complete fucking overkill, 1GB/s up and down at the same time.

I don't see bandwith issues.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        You can pretty much leave any hope of finding mini-pcie cards for newer wifi or LTE modems for consumer hardware.

Since the M.2 card form factor and interface is smaller, adapters are a thing. Look for decent m-pcie to M.2 key A/E adapters, unless your laptop is unusually thin you can fit any modern card still.

Here is a picture that shows one of such adapters and a normal wifi M.2 card. They are pretty thin, barely higher than a mini-pcie card is.

Don't even bother with trying to use one of these on an older notebook through an adapter.

M.2 WiFi cards do not use the IPEX antenna connectors found on mPCIe cards.

Comment

Why though. a single PCIe lane can do fine with gigabit ethernet, why would gigabit wifi be different? The PCIe does not care about the medium.

But anyway.

Best theoretical max of the wifi 6 spec with the best protocol and frequency is 1200 Mbit/s, which is 150 MB/s. I highly doubt you can get anywhere near half that in real life but whatever.

m-pcie has a single lane of PCIe 1.0 (usually, it could theoretically have any PCIe revision but for some reason I always see them locked at the 1.0), which provides up to 250 MB/s up and 250 MB/s down at the same time, and it's a pretty efficient bus with low overhead so you are getting close to that in practice.

M.2 key A/E has 2 lanes of PCIe 2.0 (or better), which is something like complete fucking overkill, 1GB/s up and down at the same time.

I don't see bandwith issues.
          It was never about bandwidth.

It always was about size, size and size.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

It was never about bandwidth.

It always was about size, size and size.
            You forgot a "and different interfaces" (any M.2 can carry more than just pcie and USB).

Comment

Compatible with lenovo t450?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Don't even bother with trying to use one of these on an older notebook through an adapter.
                Yes, the only solution is to find a corner and cry. No other options are and will ever be available. Death will find us all.

M.2 WiFi cards do not use the IPEX antenna connectors found on mPCIe cards.
                A good point, I forgot that you need an adapter for that too. Guest willmore
                Look for IPEX-4 to IPEX-1 adapters. (or IPEX Gen4 to IPEX 1 adapter)

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
                  Compatible with lenovo t450?
                  Very likely.

In general, as long as the laptop does not have a whitelist of "approved" cards in its UEFI/BIOS any card with the same interface should work. HP laptops are infamous for this.

Afaik Lenovo dropped this whitelisting years ago, the T450 should not care about what card you install.

Comment

Well it seems my laptop has an 8260, so I'm probably good to go.

Comment

Afaik Intel wifi ac chipsets weren't supported at launch and for a couple years or so afterwards they were either not supported or crappy.

This is a next-gen wifi chipset getting support sooner than the hardware showing up. This is big.
                      7260 were shite on Windows too, I had to replace every single one with older atheros chips in work laptops :^)

Comment

Working...
                      X