The Karbon 300 Is A Compact, Rugged PC That Ships With Linux As An Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Karbon 300 Is A Compact, Rugged PC That Ships With Linux As An Option

Phoronix: The Karbon 300 Is A Compact, Rugged PC That Ships With Linux As An Option

Logic Supply, a manufacturer of several industrial-grade Linux-supported PCs in the past, has introduced the Karbon 300 has their latest compact and rugged PC intended for IoT/edge computing use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

"Intel Atom Lake E3930"

Should read:

"Intel Apollo Lake Atom E3930" or similar.

Apollo Lake is the code name which indicates the generation.

Comment

thats one expensive potato
      what's the selling point of this vs a cheaper NUC with more powerful hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
        As advertised, it is for extreme temperature enviroments where probably even monitors can't survive

It's high shock and vibration resistance and wide operating temperature range make it perfect for the toughest operating environments.
        Like in Siberia, if something is not certified for -70°C that is considered being shit
        Last edited by dungeon; 27 March 2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

this survives in industrial environments. A NUC would die in less than a year due to dust, vibration or heat.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

As advertised, it is for extreme temperature enviroments where probably even monitors can't survive
            Like in Siberia, if something is not certified for -70°C that is considered being shit
            Yeah Siberia, is the most coldest place on earth, Occupied by Humans..
            And its Only Surpassed by the Russian Vostok Station in Antarctica, South-Pole( this one being the most coldest place on earth.. )

There are several places, like Yakutia, or for example, of very close, Uliuiu Cherkechekh ( Valley of Death ..)

But this Computers cannot survive there, not even closest..
            They are Rated from -25C... so they will never work, you need to catch a constant fire behind to warm-up them, so that it can start working..

They needed to be at least -70 to +50C.. but even so, I already read that sometimes -70...is not enough
            I think metals start to brake at <= - 50 C

Comment

The operating temperature range of -25°C to +70°C is not very good, or what I would consider "rugged". Standard for industrial applications is -40°C to +85°C (cf. Wikipedia), and from quick Google search a number of manufacturers do indeed guarantee that their hardware works in such temperatures.

Comment

That's like asking what the difference is between a truck vs a sportscar with engines of equal power output.
                This is an industrial and rugged PC. It's built to handle extreme temperatures, physical shock, power dips & spikes, and communicate with CAN devices. A NUC is just simply a cheap small PC.
                If you need something dependable, you buy something like a Karbon. If you can afford some downtime and don't need it's special features (that a NUC doesn't come with), might as well just buy a bunch of NUCs and make them as redundant as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  That's like asking what the difference is between a truck vs a sportscar with engines of equal power output.
                  This is an industrial and rugged PC. It's built to handle extreme temperatures, physical shock, power dips & spikes, and communicate with CAN devices. A NUC is just simply a cheap small PC.
                  If you need something dependable, you buy something like a Karbon. If you can afford some downtime and don't need it's special features (that a NUC doesn't come with), might as well just buy a bunch of NUCs and make them as redundant as you can.
                  ^ Yup, and I would add humidity as well. Often times the enclosures are sealed, and/or the circuit boards are conformal coated (as they are in marine applications) to prevent damage from condensation.

Another use for these, for those who like to DIY automotive repairs, is having a computer in the garage. The garage on your home sees temperature swings and extremes, and is a dusty environment, where a normal PC simply wouldn't last. I bought a used fanless industrial PC similar to this a few years ago, and it's still chugging along happily out in my garage. The standard dell minitower before it didn't last a single year in that environment.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                    But this Computers cannot survive there, not even closest..
                    They are Rated from -25C... so they will never work, you need to catch a constant fire behind to warm-up them, so that it can start working..
                    So you're telling me that people actually work in -70C environments? I'm pretty sure that at those temperatures, they will have the stove or heaters running, so the house temperature is actually warmer than -70C anyway...

Comment

Working...
                    X