Linux Tests Of The QNINE M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure To USB-C Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
    (I understand this thread is nearly a year old, but this is the only such discussion on Phoronix, and hope this helps someone)

One of the ones I'd tested, an adaptor from UGReen (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPFV21K) has the ASM2364 chipset (174c:2362) and it's worked beautifully- no errors of any kind and excellent speeds (as Michael had shown in his testing, it's near-wire speeds).
    Thanks for this info - good to know there now is an alternative.
    Can you also say whether "fstrim" works well with this enclosure? (See also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...h_TRIM_support )

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      Can you also say whether "fstrim" works well with this enclosure?
      ... so it looks like modifying the SCSI generic provisioning mode as detailed in that article (thanks for that) allows "blkdiscard" to work, at least. It's going to take a while to find out if "fstrim" works, as I'd accidentally run "blkdiscard" on my whole device and apparently blew away the filesystem
      Last edited by kcrudup; 08 March 2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post

... so it looks like modifying the SCSI generic provisioning mode as detailed in that article (thanks for that) allows "blkdiscard" to work, at least. It's going to take a while to find out if "fstrim" works, as I'd accidentally run "blkdiscard" on my whole device and apparently blew away the filesystem
        Sorry to hear about your "blkdiscard"-mishap - at least I cautiously only suggested to try "fstrim" :-)

So first, thanks again for the information, I bought myself a piece of the enclosure you linked to, mostly only so I can compare it to my Icy Box with JMicron chip.
        From my experiments so far, both enclosures worked equally well for me, but the JMicron based Icy Box came out slightly better, because of (a) its better cooling abilities, and (b) because the JMicron chip is supported by "smartctl" already, so I can get the SMART values from the NVMe bar, which I cannot when it is in the ASM2364 enclosure.

Regarding the issues where the bus stalls for a while: I have experienced this with both enclosures, but only when using dodgy cables (which, unluckily, there are plenty around). I can even reproduce getting these errors with both enclosures with one particular (short) cable if I plug it in in one direction, and consistently everything works fine when plugging in the cable in the opposite direction. Which of course should not happen with USB-C at all - but it seems to be all cable-related trouble.

Regarding speed, the ASM2364 seems to have a very tiny edge over the JMicron chip, but not reallly enough to make a difference.

"fstrim" worked fine with both using "unmap" mode.

Comment

Working...
        X