Select HP Systems Can Now Update Their Firmware From Linux With Fwupd+LVFS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Wow, so you actually found ways to use so much ram on your own. That's fair I guess but it's kind of niche.
    I just took inspiration from things like /tmp on ram and had fun with it. I have the ram so why not? The video stuff is just to prevent file defragmentation and drive wear; probably overkill, but whatever.

Now (years later) it's pretty well-known what boards actually support ECC and what don't, and it's actually a pretty decent situation where the manufacturer specs can be trusted, which is a nice thing.

The only brand that lied on ECC support on some boards is Gigabyte, which is on my black list for other reasons already, so all is fine.
    I know, but a lot of the old information is still coming up in searches and one still needs to do a bit of research before buying (as anyone damn well should). If you don't research and just expect that it'll work with Ryzen, then it is a bit of a gamble.

I assume you mean registered here and no it is NOT possible at all as AM4 socket CPUs don't support that, the MB can't add support on its own.
    Registered ECC is on Threadripper and Epyc only as that's where they expect people to actually need large amounts of RAM.
    Nah, meant unbuffered as unregistered because consumer Ryzen doesn't take registered at all AFAIK.

Yes, Asrock and ASUS now state this also in their motherboard specs, ECC support for APUs is only on PRO versions.
    That's unlikely, PRO APUs are sold only to OEMs, which I doubt will try to resell them separately.
    It really sucks people like you had to figure that out the hard way.

That doesn't mean I can't hope we'll be able to buy one for ourselves one day. Then again, there's a chance I'll find a Pro Workstation on eBay for cheap one of these days...I mean, the whole point of my first post was me being excited that I can add more used shit to the list of stuff I can buy.

My tinfoil hat side thinks AMD intentionally limits their APUs so they don't compete with game consoles because Sony &/or Microsoft requested it as a clause to make their consoles...so there is a good chance we won't get a mythical Pro APU for DIYers. Something like that has to be why we don't have an 8 core APU with 460 level graphics yet...but that's getting even more off topic...tinfoil hat off.

Yeah, but your original statement was that the board was not priced properly. Which is wrong, as I said.
    From a logistical position, the pricing makes sense. From a consumer position, their pricing does seem high when a person compares the price of embedded to performance and feature ratio of the cheap & equivalent workstation parts. Most consumers don't consider manufacturing logistics, they just compare price and equivalency.

You know, I had no idea my offhand comment would turn into this discussion.

It's nice having discussions here that don't devolve into name calling with tons of obscenities.

Comment

Working...
    X