Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd Gaining Support For ATA Device Microcode Updates

Phoronix: Fwupd Gaining Support For ATA Device Microcode Updates

Richard Hughes of Red Hat continues on his conquest for improving the Linux firmware updating experience: his latest accomplishment is getting support for microcode updates on ATA/ATAPI drives into Fwupd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is excellent news. I've seen bad ATA microcode kill 100s of drives. *cough* seagate *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by dankles View Post
      This is excellent news. I've seen bad ATA microcode kill 100s of drives. *cough* seagate *cough*
      I thought Western Digital was more problematic?

Comment

Has anybody successfully updated the firmware of a Dell WD15 docking station using fwupd?

I'm asking because the README.md at https://github.com/hughsie/fwupd/tre...r/plugins/dell suggests this to be possible, but in pretty vague wording - and when searching for reports on WD15 updates I can only find "does not work" statements, but without any reference to trying fwupd for this purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I thought Western Digital was more problematic?
          I've been in IT for about 15 years now, and worked on thousands of devices in large scale infrastructures. I've seen more Seagate drives fail than any other by far. Western Digital is the next runner up in my book. I'm not saying this to be braggadocios, but to share my experience level with Hard Drives. If you google for hard drive failure rates, you'll see others have had similar experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by dankles View Post

I've been in IT for about 15 years now, and worked on thousands of devices in large scale infrastructures. I've seen more Seagate drives fail than any other by far. Western Digital is the next runner up in my book. I'm not saying this to be braggadocios, but to share my experience level with Hard Drives. If you google for hard drive failure rates, you'll see others have had similar experiences.
            Some Samsung drives also shipped with broken firmware. Their SSD drives too.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Some Samsung drives also shipped with broken firmware. Their SSD drives too.
              Yeah I've heard stories. I've only used Samsung drives for personal stuff, rather than work though. So I don't have as much experience with them. So far they're run well on all my home systems.

Comment

dankles and tildearrow - here's some hard data
                Backblaze has 99,636 spinning hard drives. This review looks at the quarterly and lifetime statistics for the data drive models in operation in our data centers.

Comment

Boxie point to backblaze numbers are right Western Digital and Seagate live spans depends on the model drive. Sometimes WD is better sometimes seagate is better.

Now when it comes to firmware its a total different issue.

Seagate drives will always refuse a completely wrong firmware. Ok that does not mean seagate will not ship a firmware tagged for your drive that will brick you drive and you will need to apply another firmware latter to fix it. You can always get the original firmware from seagate so as long as the bricking firmware did not eat you data this is more just a pain in ass.

WD is worse. https://community.wd.com/t/purple-wr...d10purx/216272
                  Not only can you get a bricking firmware from WD you can in fact flash the wrong firmware into the drive and the drive says that fine. Then you call up WD and ask for a copy of original firmware to re-flash and the response is like above. Yes I love the danger like above where the automatic WD tool from WD to apply the firmware does not even check properly if it applying to the correct drive model. Using a firmware application tool from the vendor should not screw up this badly. And when it does screw up this badly you should be able to get a correct firmware from vendor.

Fwupd will be far more dangerous on WD drives than Seagate ones unless something changes on the WD side.

Comment

I'm NOT updating HDD firmware, if the drive has ANY issues I RMA it and they can do it at their own risk if they feel like it.

If I'm not sure the issue is covered by warranty I make sure that the drive is "properly failed" though other means so I can RMA it.

(yes, bad experiences about firmware updates on hard drives at work. Lost. So. Much. Time.)

Comment

Working...
                    X