Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    bigger board is not backwards compatible
    Well it would be if they maintained daughter board compatibility.

However i I really don’t see daughter board compatibility as a huge issue. They could easily end up with a smaller board completely doing away with the current daughter board arrangements with vertically mounted I/O boards. I’m not talking big boards like seen in a PC. Rather small boards of around a couple of square inches. Even then you would still have space for onboard I/O.

Comment

First off RPI isn’t exactly an embedded board even if it gets used that way a lot.

Second the embedded world is all about leveraging standard parts that get that get connected together. Standardized ports are a huge advantage in this field. Such ports can be used to assemble ready made functionality or they can be used to connect fully custom hardware. Such systems don’t always need high performance ports either.

Frankly im not sure who is drunk here because there seems to be a lot of nonsense arguing going on. It is perplexing that people would even argue about more ports on such a board.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Are you fucking drunk? I just told you.

Embedded devices are not supposed to be upgradable because their target users are not going to.

Standard sockets are supposed to allow upgrade or maintenance.

As I ALREADY TOLD YOU, the main obstacle to replacement is the cost of the SoM itself, which is going to be more than half the cost of a new device. Unless the device manufacturer is inflating A LOT the device price.

Therefore, it's not going to create more sales of either the SoM or the devices, therefore it makes little economic sense to implement it.

I said it is trivial, and I still stand by it.

I'll also add that for embedded a standard WHOLE SoM interface will limit SoC designers and the SoM users to what they can actually fit through, which is arbitrary and retarded.

Again, what do standardized socket have to do with the part I was addressing there? You were asking specifically about why a RPi module could make sense.

I understand the point of modules, what I don't understand is the point of a RPi module. Pretty much none of the benefits you mentioned apply to the Pi (they are, however, very relevant to other platforms).

Sorry what? I specifically said It is not hard to do. That's exactly my point.

Let me dumb it down it down. "you are vastly overestimating the complexity" = you think it is complex, but it is not complex at all.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        unless you need video driver, then it's the other way around
        On the Easy Of Use, yes
        Because RaspberryPI has better OS support, and its reflects in all of its ecosystem..its optimized software, and that is GOOD.

I am been evaluating a Alwinner H6 Board, and even in Desktop, I can only say that I am amazed with its speed @1.4Ghz, @1.8Ghz, it is a monster compared with RaspberryPI's..

H6 has very powerfull video hardware.
        I am not sure,
        If the Graphics in Raspberry Pi can outperform a H6( with its Mali-T720 GPU, which supports 4K and 1080p encoding of all major formats, plus OpenCL 1.1, 10-bit HEVC decoding and other new video decode features.. )

Maybe,
        Because the lack of OpenSource Driver..

But Cedrus is there( Thanks to Olimex for the Effort, on the A20 Dual Core, which I brought to support the effort, and now been ported to H5/6 ),
        Also PanFrost too for Video/Graphics,
        And progressing now to H6 I think,
        Of course it will have to mature,( like with RaspberryPI some years ago.. ). maybe will be not a out-of-the-box problem free for some time, but it time will progress..

For OpenCL, we have the ARM http://github.com/ARM-software/ComputeLibrary
        ( Which takes several hours to compile..if all goes well :S) and it seems to be the only option for all eternity.. as Cedrus and Panfroost, seems to not want to implement OpenCL, but at least there are a option..

I don't know if RaspberryPI, can offer half of the capabilities of H6, but in general what is supports have been supporting it better..
        lets see in next kernel releases

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Well it would be if they maintained daughter board compatibility.
          it still wouldn't fit enclosures

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            Also PanFrost too for Video/Graphics,
            i'm aware of it, but it's stuff for some indetermined future. for now rpi has videodriver, adreno has videodriver, vivante has videodriver, mali doesn't.

Comment

Working...
            X