Libinput Working On User-Space Support For High Resolution Scroll Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput Working On User-Space Support For High Resolution Scroll Wheels

Phoronix: Libinput Working On User-Space Support For High Resolution Scroll Wheels

One of the exciting user additions to the forthcoming Linux 5.0 kernel is high resolution scroll wheel support for various Logitech and Microsoft mice. While the kernel support has landed, the user-space support is still pending...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this already implemented in the Synaptics driver and X somehow? How different is it from the smooth touchpad scrolling to implement? What I'm saying is that there seems to already be userspace support for something similar. Is this only in X and in certain input drivers for it?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Analyst View Post
      Is this already implemented in the Synaptics driver and X somehow? How different is it from the smooth touchpad scrolling to implement? What I'm saying is that there seems to already be userspace support for something similar. Is this only in X and in certain input drivers for it?
      I believe the gesture recognizition is in libinput, not in the kernel. So while libinput can already output high resolution scroll, it probably couldn't read them.

Comment

I bought a silly Microsoft mouse last year whose scroll wheel played Hell in X11... I had to use a utility called "resetmsmice" because Microsoft made that behaviour (scrolling fractions of "lines") the default in firmware. In Windows I had to install silly Microsoft mouse control software and could only disable it per application (it was causing problems in some games, causing the scroll wheel to not work or work erratically)

I have long since gotten rid of that mouse, but this is good to hear.

Comment

Is there a list of supported mice?

Comment

Nice. Hopefuly I can get higher max acceleration when using calibration_matrix. The one supported (see below) is not high enogh for 4k*6 displays.

Code:
            # Sway config for my trackball
            input "18003:1:foostan_Corne_Mouse" {
            # Flat or adaptative
            accel_profile adaptive

# Between -1.0 and 1.0
            pointer_accel 1.0

#My old xorg values: calibration_matrix 8 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 1
            calibration_matrix 8 0 0 0 8 0
            }

Comment

Working...