No announcement yet.

Xfce Support For "Primary Display" Output Handling Finally Being Squared Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce Support For "Primary Display" Output Handling Finally Being Squared Away

Phoronix: Xfce Support For "Primary Display" Output Handling Finally Being Squared Away

The latest feature on deck for the long overdue Xfce 4.14 desktop update is support for the RandR primary display/output functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously, xrandr support in all desktop environments is broken in some form or the other.

I had way better results from manually specifying the settings in xrandr than compared to doing it through the DE's display options.

On a side note, we really need an xrandr equivalent for Wayland. I have zero faith that the major Wayland DEs (specifically Gnome and KDE) can do this properly through their bundled graphical display tools.

AS it is, Gnome is already doing a horrible job with primary display detention and secondary display placement in wayland. For one, in rare instances Mutter detects my laptop's display as 'Secondary' and the connected monitor as 'Primary'. This never happens under X. WTF?

And why the heck is the default placement of the secondary display always set to 'right-of-primary'? Why aren't there any CLI tools to immediately configure the second screen to be 'left-of-primary' or 'top-of-primary' like how xrandr does it?
    Last edited by Sonadow; 13 November 2018, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      Seriously, xrandr support in all desktop environments is broken in some form or the other.
      Tell me about it. I had many problems in Gnome trying to put three 4K screens next to each other. Everytime I did this, everything broke. I finally tried the same in KDE, and it simply told me my card only supports a virtual desktop resolution of 8192x8192.

Comment

> Seriously, xrandr support in all desktop environments is broken in some form or the other.

I've always used arandr and it always worked fine

Comment

I wonder if his patches enable saving and restoring the XFCE (/xrandr) display config?

The main reason I use MATE instead of XFCE is because it doesn't save and restore display configs - instead I have to configure my displays every time I change their config (ie when (un)plugging an external display) under XFCE and that has been a showstopper for me. Hence my Linux desktop comprises of MATE but using Thunar as file manager, which I find to be the most complete and stable of the Linux GUI file managers.

Whats the easiest way to test the latest XFCE desktop? Under Arch, for example? xfce4-meta in the AUR doesn't seem to fetch the very latest git XFCE but thats the nearest thing I've found to an easy way to test the latest XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
            I wonder if his patches enable saving and restoring the XFCE (/xrandr) display config?

The main reason I use MATE instead of XFCE is because it doesn't save and restore display configs - instead I have to configure my displays every time I change their config (ie when (un)plugging an external display) under XFCE and that has been a showstopper for me. Hence my Linux desktop comprises of MATE but using Thunar as file manager, which I find to be the most complete and stable of the Linux GUI file managers.
            I agree, using a dual monitor KVM with XFCE is very annoying. Every time I have to switch back to dual screen and not mirroring.

Kind regards

B.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              On a side note, we really need an xrandr equivalent for Wayland. I have zero faith that the major Wayland DEs (specifically Gnome and KDE) can do this properly through their bundled graphical display tools.
              Holy sh*t yes! I tried to do custom triple monitor setup with variable scaling on wayland just to find out that xrandr equivalent does not even exist. And "scaling should just work on wayland" is a lie, don't believe it (at least not yet).

Comment

Looks like someone opened a beer can right in front of the top right monitor in the picture

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                  Looks like someone opened a beer can right in front of the top right monitor in the picture
                  Unfortunately, most marks you find on somebody else screens, especially laptops, are from people sneezing. So easy to turn your head around...

Comment

His recent work before this enables saving monitor profiles for things like remembering position and resolution of displays, eg working from office vs home.

Comment

Working...
                    X