Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD - A Great Drive For A Growing Steam Linux Game Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD - A Great Drive For A Growing Steam Linux Game Collection

Phoronix: Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD - A Great Drive For A Growing Steam Linux Game Collection

If you are looking for more solid-state storage to suit a growing collection of Linux games especially now with Steam Play allowing for many Windows games to run rather nicely on Linux, the Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA 3.0 SSD is a nice contender and what I ended up going with for the purpose of the Steam Linux game collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD - A Great Drive For A Growing Steam Linux Game Collection

The 2TB version of the Samsung 860 EVO SSD can be found for about $350 USD from the likes of NewEgg.
    The 2TB version at $350 USD is only a little more costly than the 1TB version was this time last year. And the 1TB version now goes for about $165 USD. Good time to upgrade.

Comment

860 EVO, checking in. Sweet pickup on the 2TB!

I have 2x500GB running in a 1TB RAID 0 configuration. First time doing RAID and really loving it.

Gets an average read rate of 1.1GB/s and access time of 0.10ms. Screenshot of the benchmark if anyone's interested.

GamersNexus also mentioned today that SSD prices will likely continue to drop well into 2019 and reach $.08cents/GB, so if you're looking to upgrade your storage, definitely start keeping an eye out. Too many games waiting to be played on Linux

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        860 EVO, checking in. Sweet pickup on the 2TB!

I have 2x500GB running in a 1TB RAID 0 configuration. First time doing RAID and really loving it.

Gets an average read rate of 1.1GB/s and access time of 0.10ms. Screenshot of the benchmark if anyone's interested.

GamersNexus also mentioned today that SSD prices will likely continue to drop well into 2019 and reach $.08cents/GB, so if you're looking to upgrade your storage, definitely start keeping an eye out. Too many games waiting to be played on Linux

Hey there,

I can see that you're able to utilize IMSM RAID metadata (Intel IRST RAID). What platform are you on? Haswell? Skylake?

Comment

Originally posted by Brainiarc7 View Post
          Hey there,

I can see that you're able to utilize IMSM RAID metadata (Intel IRST RAID). What platform are you on? Haswell? Skylake?
          Yeah, I'm on Haswell. i5-4670K

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Yeah, I'm on Haswell. i5-4670K

Beautiful :-)

On SKL+, the IMSM metadata (availed via IRST) is no longer available to mdraid and dmraid. NVMe and SATA SSDs (in IMSM RAID) will not work on Linux.
            We may have to wait for upstream patchwork to address this.

Comment

Eyeing the 1TB model for a possible upgrade this holiday season.

Comment

The game I saw the biggest reduction in loading times were the Metro games. In a SSD, loading levels is about a second or two. On a HDD it takes a while.

But on the majority of cases (my collection), a SSD will have only moderate impact on loading times, so I put almost my entire collection (~150) of Linux Steam games on a 2TB, 7.200 RPM HDD. Is a nice feeling knowing you can play any game you want without having to download from the internet.

Comment

Just ensure you keep the firmware updated, since the 860 2TB and 4TB use quad-level cell (QLC) NAND, which is not mature like TLC is

Comment

For some info on SSD prices:

Comment

Working...
                    X