Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Unveils Thelio "Open" Desktops With Intel/AMD CPU Options, NVIDIA/Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For this prices better go with slimbook.
    They design aplications for their laptops..

They offer better prices and a best range of OSes, good look, very good quality, for low prices..

Comment

There are multiple aspects for being "open". From the hardware perspective, it would be nice to have motherboard schematics for easy repair..

Comment

Originally posted by isantop View Post
        Thelio (the computer) is OSHWA-certified Open Hardware (US000142).
        Exactly. It is classified as "Open hardware". Not "Open-source hardware" which is what they are masquerading it as.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Exactly. It is classified as "Open hardware". Not "Open-source hardware" which is what they are masquerading it as.
          I work for System76. We're actually pretty upfront about which components of the system are open vs. not. And everything we produce in-house is open.

I'm not sure if you knew, but the "S" is OSHWA stands for "Source". In any case, https://github.com/system76/thelio

Comment

I work for System76. We're actually pretty upfront about which components of the system are open vs. not. And everything we produce in-house is open.
            Thats great. So perhaps you could use a slogan of...

"Thelio desktop; up to 43% open-source components"

System76's open-source components are certainly not to be sniffed at and I believe this is the right track but I am a little bit worried that the news is going to propagate as it being "an open-source desktop" even when it is not. It is partially open-source. As is a bog standard Lenovo Thinkpad (~3% open-source).

My big question is: Will System76 try to correct news sites when they use phrases such as "the open-source desktop" or will they stay silent in the hope and additional revenue gained by those people that are tricked and are not buying 100% open-source hardware like they thought? If it is the latter, then they are being unethical and I cannot see that being legally sound either.
            Last edited by kpedersen; 06 November 2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leiptrstormr View Post
              I thought it was a bit strange when they provided a SATA backplane instead of an actual machine.
              It looks like the actual motherboards will be made in the USA Gigabyte.
              I talked to their support team, and this is the range of motherboards that are currently used on Thelio, of course if you could get the case separately you could put any motherboard inside. Does anyone know if they have plans of selling the case separately?

Thelio AMD: GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
              Thelio Intel: GIGABYTE H370N WIFI

Thelio Major Intel: GIGABYTE X299 Ultra Gaming Pro
              Thelio Major AMD: GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX

Thelio Massive: Asus Workstation Board WS C621E SAGE

Comment

We're definitely open to System76 including our mainboards, etc. in their product line. The result of that would be a truly made in the US and open, owner controllable PC -- a great step forward! Just waiting on System76 to accept our challenge and start working on it.

I think that would be awesome! Do you happen know if there are any Mini-ITX form factor Talos Motherboards?

that would be fantastic, I contacted the System76 support team about having a POWER9 option in addition to Intel and AMD and I suggest anyone else who is interested to do the same. This could be a fantastic opportunity. Ubuntu is already supported on POWER9 so spinning up a version of Pop_OS! shouldn't be too intensive (vs. a from scratch port) and POWER9 has the full support of RHEL also so there is definitely and existing ecosystem

Comment

Working...
                X