Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Is Ready To Support A Lot More Sound Hardware

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Is Ready To Support A Lot More Sound Hardware

SUSE's Takashi Iwai has sent in the big batch of sound/audio hardware improvements for the in-development Linux 4.20~5.0 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Hans de Goede (4):
    ASoC: rt5670: Add quirk for Thinkpad 8 tablet
    ASoC: Intel: common: Add quirk for Thinkpad 8 tablet
    ASoC: Intel: cht-bsw-rt5672: Add key-mappings for the headset buttons
    Thanks for work on rt5670, Hans!

Same audio adapter can be found in Dell Vanue 8 Pro 5855, which I use right now with Belkin USB-C Express Dock 3.1 daily as my main "workstation".
    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 25 October 2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I think we are still waiting on the firmware to be accepted into linux-firmware, as Creative has so far not given written consent to the maintainers.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
        I think we are still waiting on the firmware to be accepted into linux-firmware, as Creative has so far not given written consent to the maintainers.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/24/555
        Yeah, I got permission from Creative some time ago to redistribute the firmware under the same license as the current Chromebook firmware. I've kind of held off on submitting it though because I kept asking for someone to sign-off. They finally just told me to send it in, and that if it wasn't accepted to contact them and they would sort it out.

So, that's the situation we're in now. For what it's worth, I had the person I'm in contact with at Creative email Takashi and say I had permission, but it seems the linux-firmware maintainer wants an actual sign-off, which I can understand. I already sent an email to Creative telling them what happened, so hopefully I get a response soon. Sometimes it can take awhile. I'm just glad they're responding at all, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Conmanx360 View Post

Yeah, I got permission from Creative some time ago to redistribute the firmware under the same license as the current Chromebook firmware. I've kind of held off on submitting it though because I kept asking for someone to sign-off. They finally just told me to send it in, and that if it wasn't accepted to contact them and they would sort it out.

So, that's the situation we're in now. For what it's worth, I had the person I'm in contact with at Creative email Takashi and say I had permission, but it seems the linux-firmware maintainer wants an actual sign-off, which I can understand. I already sent an email to Creative telling them what happened, so hopefully I get a response soon. Sometimes it can take awhile. I'm just glad they're responding at all, to be honest.
          I just wanted to say thanks for all your work on this

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post

I just wanted to say thanks for all your work on this
            Not a problem. Glad to help other people use their sound cards on Linux. Hopefully it means more people make the switch from Windows to Linux

Comment

It's nice to have support for a wider variety of devices. I also hope that at some point they fix the issues with some of the more recent codecs like the ALC1220 issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post
                It's nice to have support for a wider variety of devices. I also hope that at some point they fix the issues with some of the more recent codecs like the ALC1220 issues.
                Hm, I recently helped to fix an issue with another realtek device, I think it was an ALC668 from a laptop. Do you know what issues there still are specifically? The program I made to capture the commands of Windows drivers within a VM might be useful in fixing the issues with the ALC1220 if it works fine in Windows.

Comment

Does someone know if the bytmax-98090 finally works ootb? Thanks

Comment

Still waiting for working audio on my Skylake based Chromebook. Yes, I know it can be hacked to "work" but it doesn't work 100% correctly and can burn out the hardware due to over-driving the audio circuit.

Comment

Working...
                    X