Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Lands Xbox One S Controller Rumbling, Logitech High Resolution, Apple Trackpad 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see that Logitech will be finally supporting higher resolutions on Linux. The funny thing is that I have been stuck on their default Linux resolution for so long that when I use my mouse with a higher resolution on Windows, I am unable to move it with nearly the same accuracy.

Originally posted by frosth View Post
    I wonder if it will be any better than xpadneo driver (bluetooth+rumble+battery) - https://atar-axis.github.io/xpadneo/
    It plays well for all proton and steam native games I have for now
    That's cool to hear. I'm stuck with the first generation of Xbox one controller, so no wireless functionality for me.

Comment

What's the point? So few games seem to have working/complete rumble support anyway. Of my entire game library, I only recall 1 game that has working rumble support.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      The Xbone Controller is the most problematic controller in terms of game support, of the five different ones I have. It is worse even than the Dual Shock 4. But that is mostly on indie and/or older games.
      Huh? The DS4 has been pretty compliant for me for years. The only thing that just straight-up doesn't work out-of-the-box is the audio, but there is a tool to get that to work. You can even customize the LED color to whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        What's the point? So few games seem to have working/complete rumble support anyway. Of my entire game library, I only recall 1 game that has working rumble support.

Huh? The DS4 has been pretty compliant for me for years. The only thing that just straight-up doesn't work out-of-the-box is the audio, but there is a tool to get that to work. You can even customize the LED color to whatever you want.
        Like I said, is mostly on indie and older games. As eydee correctly pointed out and I'm sure you are well aware, is a case of bad control implementation on games.

In my library of games (+160 on Linux), the most bullet proof gamepad is the XB360 one, with the Logitech F710 (don't buy that crap) down by one game. The DS4 is mostly plagued by Unity (of course...) based games. Of the most famous, I remember Bro Force will not recognize it outside the Steam gamepad emulation, Assault Android Cactus will count it as double controllers if used on the Steam thingy, and a couple others.

On the rumble front, most games that had working with the XB360 will also work with the DS4. It (DS4) and the Steam Controller are the gamepads I have over my desk, for my game session with gamepad friendly games.

Comment

The Xbone Controller is the most problematic controller in terms of game support, of the five different ones I have. It is worse even than the Dual Shock 4. But that is mostly on indie and/or older games.

It also have a flawed D-Pad design, prone to malfunctions. Too bad because is have one of the nicest ergonomics of the modern controllers.

Unfortunately, the most problem free controller, the wired XB360, is apparently not manufactured anymore and most you can find are faked Chinese ones.
          Really, a flawed D-Pad design? 'Cause up till now, I only heard that argument about the Steam controller for the Steambox or whatever their console was called.

Comment

Like I said, is mostly on indie and older games. As eydee correctly pointed out and I'm sure you are well aware, is a case of bad control implementation on games.
            Sort of. I have 1 game that recognizes it as a DS4 but maps the buttons incorrectly, however at least each of the mappings are consistently wrong (meaning, the game is still fully playable as long as I ignore the incorrect symbols). Everything else either sees it correctly, recognizes it as a generic PC controller, or assumes it is an Xbox controller. I otherwise don't get any mapping issues.
            In my library of games (+160 on Linux), the most bullet proof gamepad is the XB360 one, with the Logitech F710 (don't buy that crap) down by one game. The DS4 is mostly plagued by Unity (of course...) based games. Of the most famous, I remember Bro Force will not recognize it outside the Steam gamepad emulation, Assault Android Cactus will count it as double controllers if used on the Steam thingy, and a couple others.
            I've never encountered such issues.
            On the rumble front, most games that had working with the XB360 will also work with the DS4. It (DS4) and the Steam Controller are the gamepads I have over my desk, for my game session with gamepad friendly games.
            This makes me wonder... what if the reason why your rumble works but mine doesn't is directly related to why my experience with the controller is fine but yours isn't.

Out of curiosity, do you use it via Bluetooth or over the wire? Because I almost solely use it over BT, and I know the controller is treated as a different type of controller over USB.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Really, a flawed D-Pad design? 'Cause up till now, I only heard that argument about the Steam controller for the Steambox or whatever their console was called.
              First, keep in mind that I like that controller (Xbone) a lot.

Second, if that didn't occurred on your unit, consider yourself a lucky player. Mine and 2 other of friends had malfunctions, that may or may not be fixable by disassembly of the controller (witch is a PITA), and cleaning the underside of the contacts.

You can take a look at numerous YT videos were people try to deal with the problem.

I found the ergonomics of that controller top notch, but the internals are a major mess, by far the most difficult gamepad I had to work with. The design of the D-pad contacts is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. They substituted the tried and true rubber dome with a metallic thing you may find on some cellphone keyboards. It is hold together with a transparent adhesive, and apparently the problem is that dirt created by the metallic dome with the graphite contacts on the board have nowhere to go, so they create malfunctions. At last that is the best explanation I have found.

Nonetheless, is a problem a lot of people have, and it looks like the expensive Switch pro gamepad is suffering from a similar problem.
              Last edited by M@GOid; 24 October 2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Sort of. I have 1 game that recognizes it as a DS4 but maps the buttons incorrectly, however at least each of the mappings are consistently wrong (meaning, the game is still fully playable as long as I ignore the incorrect symbols). Everything else either sees it correctly, recognizes it as a generic PC controller, or assumes it is an Xbox controller. I otherwise don't get any mapping issues.

I've never encountered such issues.

This makes me wonder... what if the reason why your rumble works but mine doesn't is directly related to why my experience with the controller is fine but yours isn't.

Out of curiosity, do you use it via Bluetooth or over the wire? Because I almost solely use it over BT, and I know the controller is treated as a different type of controller over USB.
                Bluetooth, a cheap BT 4 dongle I found on the internet. Interestingly, the Steam Controller (when BT became available) did not like it very much, but the DS4 work like a champ with it.

Maybe these problems are from the way (K)Ubuntu is configured. If I remember correctly, you use Opensuse.

Comment

Bluetooth, a cheap BT 4 dongle I found on the internet. Interestingly, the Steam Controller (when BT became available) did not like it very much, but the DS4 work like a champ with it.

Maybe these problems are from the way (K)Ubuntu is configured. If I remember correctly, you use Opensuse.
                  Hmm, well I guess BT isn't the problem since that's what I use too.
                  I use KDE with Arch Linux, and I too am using a super cheap BT dongle (though I think mine might be 3.0). My setup can't be too drastically different from yours.

Are you using the Steam drivers, ds4drv, or the built-in kernel drivers? Because ds4drv served me pretty well, but the Steam drivers seemed to replace enough of its features that I managed to get rid of it entirely.

Comment

Hmm, well I guess BT isn't the problem since that's what I use too.
                    I use KDE with Arch Linux, and I too am using a super cheap BT dongle (though I think mine might be 3.0). My setup can't be too drastically different from yours.

Are you using the Steam drivers, ds4drv, or the built-in kernel drivers? Because ds4drv served me pretty well, but the Steam drivers seemed to replace enough of its features that I managed to get rid of it entirely.
                    I use what comes with Ubuntu. The only thing I do is create the infamous (/lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules) config file do deal with the Canonical/Valve feud of why the SC does not work out of the box on Ubuntu. I know there is a line that mentions the DS4, so maybe this is what is different from your setup.

Comment

I use what comes with Ubuntu. The only thing I do is create the infamous (/lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules) config file do deal with the Canonical/Valve feud of why the SC does not work out of the box on Ubuntu. I know there is a line that mentions the DS4, so maybe this is what is different from your setup.
                      Ah, that difference might be it. I didn't need to do any udev rules.

Comment

Working...
                      X