Linux Kernel Interface To Finally Allow For Programmable LED Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Kernel Interface To Finally Allow For Programmable LED Patterns

Phoronix: Linux Kernel Interface To Finally Allow For Programmable LED Patterns

It's not often we get to talk about the LED drivers for the Linux kernel... Yes, the class of Linux kernel drivers to support controlling the brightness of LEDs via supported drivers and exposing that to user-space. With Linux 4.20~5.0 comes finally the ability to program "patterns" for LEDs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's this LED thing? Any photos? Doesn't seem like it's about monitors' lights.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      What's this LED thing? Any photos? Doesn't seem like it's about monitors' lights.
      Probably means RGB memory modules and motherboards such as the Gigabyte Aorus line, or fans like those found in the Corsair Obsidian cases.
      Last edited by ezst036; 22 October 2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Can this affect the Power LED? I have a mainbord which flashes that LED annoyingly when in standby… –.–

Comment

Which LEDs does it apply to, or any LED?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            In the article it has been said that those are LED lighting. You set the repeating cycle and brightness of those, whereas there's no need to set up a flashing LED on the screen
            The feature seems long overdue given all of the RGB lighting rage among PC enthusiasts and a lot of Windows LED control software allowing pre-set patterns to be applied to LED lights

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
              Can this affect the Power LED? I have a mainbord which flashes that LED annoyingly when in standby… –.–
              Probably not. The best fix for that is some electrical tape.

Comment

*laughs maniacally*

THE RGB FUTURE IS HERE! IT HAS COME TO LINUX! COME, BROTHERS, LET US BASK IN THE RAINBOW GLOW!

Comment

Linux 4.20 "RGB Compatible"

Comment

This isn't a feature I would really use, but... I'm surprised that it's taken Linux this long to support this, given this is the kind of flashy (no pun intended) feature that desktop developers would have otherwise normally have implemented because it's "cool" like the desktop cube rather than having any practical value.

Comment

Working...
                    X