New Details On System76's Open-Source Hardware Plans Come To Light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Details On System76's Open-Source Hardware Plans Come To Light

Phoronix: New Details On System76's Open-Source Hardware Plans Come To Light

Longtime Ubuntu/Linux PC vendor System76 has been teasing their efforts around an "open-source computer" and other open-source hardware efforts now that they are in the home stretch of setting up their own US-based manufacturing facility. Some new details on their initial aspirations are now out there...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Daughter-Board

Carl commented that they have SATA working at "full performance"
    When using 1 port at once, or non-solid drives, right?

Comment

This is a toes in the water deal. Probably can't afford to take on a whole board fab, so they are going to break it off in parts and work their way into it as cash flow allows.

Comment

I tried to like the S76 systems, but they're very overpriced, there's no other way to put it.

Comment

Are there really no open sata chips? How is this better than just having a pci-e add-in sata board?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            I tried to like the S76 systems, but they're very overpriced, there's no other way to put it.
            If you want a open system like this you have to pay. Can't have it both ways.

Comment

I think it's reasonable. Divide-and-conquer approaches will be more predictable than everything-from-the-ground-up.

Comment

Maybe the bandwidth of SATA is reached, but how is the latency? I suppose it should be low but I'm still curious. It's especially important with SSDs when you need good latency.

Comment

Isn't something that I haven think of..building blocks with time..
                  But I crossed my fingers, to be something different..

It broke, the kid inside me, because I was dreaming of power9, or an Ampere eMAG 16 cores
                  Also I followed the videos they release and they talked about power cells in the second video..

I think that I amplified to much the bar,
                  When you dream high, the fall is bigger...always listen that..

For what I could understand, they are designing, a fan/thermal system control,
                  the Sata goes directly to the Motherboard, they are not deal with in the daughter board..

But for this, I would use a smt8 microcontroller at 3cents a piece..
                  Not a atmel 32 bits that costs almost an eye..

Comment

Some of the freedom enthusiasts have been stuck on 30-year-old computers for quite some time, so having something fresh would be nice. Watching Stallman interviews is PITA because of them being 144p 5 fps cutting out every 3 seconds. He deserves something better, without having to compromise.

Comment

Working...
                    X