Linux's LoRa Is Ready To Deliver Long-Range, Low-Power Wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Has very little to do with protocol layer but rather transmission frequencies and physical layer.
    They kinda go hand in hand. Lora (and I am sure that wmbus does the same) sends out a chirp of data rather than a stream. This gets arou d a bunch of issues that tcp would have

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Now if we could only have the industry pick up just one of these IoT communications techniques.
      The industry has long picked up these technologies.
      In Germany I came across a number of LoRa sites already, though I don't know who's running it.
      Vodafone Germany has announced that their LTE band 20 (800 MHz) NB-IoT (a LTE standard that allows narrowband inside an established LTE channel) network is now available in the whole country, Deutsche Telekom is preparing a nationwide NB-IoT rollout on band 8 (900 MHz) which should be finished in a couple of months. Telefonica will also offer a network in their band 20 channel, though I don't know when it will be ready.

I'm sure it's very similar in other countries.

However the NB-IoT services are mostly available for businesses and likely too expensive for private use.
      Commercial LoRa networks are as well intended for business users; however, the hardware is cheap and it runs in unlicensed spectrum, so you can roll your own locally.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

For example wmbus?
        And its an open standard.
        it works on C,F,N:
        C (868 MHz),
        F (433 MHz),
        N (169 MHz)

It is a lot used in Europe, for example for: electricity,gas, water and heat metering..
        But you can use it for whatever you want, and its open..
        With what hardware though? I can only find hardware for LoRa, not for wmbus.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

They kinda go hand in hand. Lora (and I am sure that wmbus does the same) sends out a chirp of data rather than a stream. This gets arou d a bunch of issues that tcp would have
          TLDR; Chirps can't be compared to TCP, a better comparison would be analog audio based modem transmissions.

I think you misunderstood what chirps are.
          LoRa is indeed a technology using chirp spread spectrum.
          This has nothing to do with something like TCP, which is a relatively high-level transmission protocol and does not affect the physical layer.

Chirp spread spectrum in LoRa is used only for the very lowest level, the physical layer.
          Here it is not used for flow control, ordering, or even basic stream or packet controls.
          It is instead the modulation that allows to layer data on a frequency channel.
          A chirp is a waveform of constantly changing frequency, using the whole channel for a defined period of time.
          Cyclic shifting of chirps in this period encodes the information, in LoRa this is 7 to 12 bits per symbol (a symbol is a combination of bandwidth and time).

Thus, chirps are in fact a stream of information, and to make use of it we need higher level protocols, such as TCP to transmit our data.
          This is not defined in LoRa, but instead added in what's called LoRaWAN. LoRa the layer 1 (like Ethernet), LoRaWAN is layer 2 and 3.
          LoRaWAN does not need to know about chirps.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

With what hardware though? I can only find hardware for LoRa, not for wmbus.
            A quick search on our worst friend,
            show the contrary, some examples :

https://www.st.com/en/applications/c...ty/wm-bus.html
            View the TI WMBUS Application software & framework downloads, description, features and supporting documentation and start designing.

Radiocrafts is a leading provider of 868 MHz and 169 MHz Wireless M-Bus modules with an installation base of more than 2 million units.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...7-1-ND/7100639
            Last edited by tuxd3v; 16 October 2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tg-- View Post

TLDR; Chirps can't be compared to TCP, a better comparison would be analog audio based modem transmissions.

I think you misunderstood what chirps are.
              LoRa is indeed a technology using chirp spread spectrum.
              This has nothing to do with something like TCP, which is a relatively high-level transmission protocol and does not affect the physical layer.

Chirp spread spectrum in LoRa is used only for the very lowest level, the physical layer.
              Here it is not used for flow control, ordering, or even basic stream or packet controls.
              It is instead the modulation that allows to layer data on a frequency channel.
              A chirp is a waveform of constantly changing frequency, using the whole channel for a defined period of time.
              Cyclic shifting of chirps in this period encodes the information, in LoRa this is 7 to 12 bits per symbol (a symbol is a combination of bandwidth and time).

Thus, chirps are in fact a stream of information, and to make use of it we need higher level protocols, such as TCP to transmit our data.
              This is not defined in LoRa, but instead added in what's called LoRaWAN. LoRa the layer 1 (like Ethernet), LoRaWAN is layer 2 and 3.
              LoRaWAN does not need to know about chirps.
              I really should have known that....

Comment

Originally posted by Thpn View Post
                Unfortunately, industry continues to find new ways to saturate us with non-ionizing radiation, in the name of convenience.

The body is electric and radio frequency energy interferes with intracellular and intercellular communication, in every cell of the body.

Chronic RF exposure is becoming a focal cause of disease in the "developed" world. It demyelinates the nerves and brain.

RF has been proven to cause non-Hodgkin's lymphoma for decades. Yet, the masses continue to "march for a cure" instead of paying attention to the cause.
                Lol.

What a bunch of neo-Luddite nonsense.

1- The body is not electric, unless you are robot, of course.
                2- The only effect RF radiation can have on cells is heating. And for that you need extremely high-powered RF radiation, like inside a microwave or at the dish of a high-potency antenna. Which happens to be the opposite of LoRa. No "interference with intracellular and intercellular communication" nonsense. You clearly lack basic biochemistry knowledge.
                3- "Chronic RF exposure" is causing nothing. Again, it doesn't demyelinate "the nerves and brain". That's ALS you're thinking of...
                4- No, it hasn't been proven to cause anything. Please, check your sources.

BSc in Biotechnology, MSc in Nutrition and Metabolism and PhD in Cheminformatics here.

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

Lol.

2- The only effect RF radiation can have on cells is heating. And for that you need extremely high-powered RF radiation, like inside a microwave or at the dish of a high-potency antenna. Which happens to be the opposite of LoRa. No "interference with intracellular and intercellular communication" nonsense. You clearly lack basic biochemistry knowledge.
                  3- "Chronic RF exposure" is causing nothing. Again, it doesn't demyelinate "the nerves and brain". That's ALS you're thinking of...

BSc in Biotechnology, MSc in Nutrition and Metabolism and PhD in Cheminformatics here.
                  I started writing a similar response, but saw yours half way through and I'm just going to go with "what he said"

But it's scary that people actually believe anything they see on facebook/youtube and whatnot over actual scientific reports. This is why WiFi is getting banned in schools, areas can't get decent LTE coverage due to protests and so on. Glad to see that people still have the energy to refute it.

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post

I started writing a similar response, but saw yours half way through and I'm just going to go with "what he said"

But it's scary that people actually believe anything they see on facebook/youtube and whatnot over actual scientific reports. This is why WiFi is getting banned in schools, areas can't get decent LTE coverage due to protests and so on. Glad to see that people still have the energy to refute it.
                    Mostly all GOOD, but...

'...This is why WiFi is getting banned in schools,...'
                    That's mostly NOT the culprit. (e.g. in France and soon (?) in Germany).

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

Lol.

While your information here is well supported I might add that in the case of #3 we must define what Chronic RF exposure means. It isn’t entirely clear that people working around high power transmitters (kilowatt + ) are not at risk. Of course if the operating frequency is high enough you get cooked so that is a different risk.

On on the other hand as this thread demonstrates there is a lot of tin foil hate nonsense out there related to RF energy. Especially RF energy exposures seen in common homes and work places.

Comment

Working...
                      X