The Linux Kernel In 2018 Finally Deems USB 3.0 Ubiquitous Rather Than An Oddity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Without xhci enabled those USB3 ports wouldn't work at all...
    considering the rest of his equipment, he probably does not have a very new PC where you have only 2 USB 2.0 ports and all the others are 3.0. He is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      This wd black from 2015 has a 215MB/s read/write speed (sequential) https://www.storagereview.com/wd_black_6tb_hdd_review

While probably 2.5' drives won't run so fast, nothing prevents you from placing it in an external 3.5'' enclosure if you want faster speeds.
      I guess mine must be bricked or something, wtf is this conspiracy. Granted it's only 2 TB though, I never thought that capacity matters for performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Such as? Not even WD Black can reach those speeds. For external hard drives that's quite the feat.
        WD Black is consumer tinker toy, doesnt even support TLER.

The Seagate Ironwolf Pro does 250 MB/s, the HGST He10 does 249 MB/s, The latest HGST Ultrastar 14TB hits 267 MB/s, which I think is the fastest drive today with SATA interface: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12665...-with-tdmr-hdd

If you move up to SAS drives, the latest 10k rpm drives are topping 270 MB/s , and the newest 15k drives hit 300 MB/s sustained sequential transfer rate! https://www.storagereview.com/seagat..._hdd_v6_review

I agree, it is quite the feat.

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        I never thought that capacity matters for performance.
        Capacity matters very much for performance. How do you get the read heads to travel over more bits per second? There are two ways. Increase spindle speed. Or increase platter density. Newer larger SATA drives have higher platter density.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 10-12-2018, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I just tested this SSD on a USB 3.1 controller under Linux and it appears to be bus constrained on the read. Still testing.

USBView shows the controller speed as "unknown" but the device as USB 3.1.

lsusb -t confirmed that UASP support was active.

Last edited by edwaleni; 10-12-2018, 01:28 PM. Reason: Updated UASP support notation.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            I just tested this SSD on a USB 3.1 controller under Linux and it appears to be bus constrained on the read. Still testing.

USBView shows the controller speed as "unknown" but the device as USB 3.1.

lsusb -t confirmed that UASP support was active.

FWIW, its reporting the correct USB 3.1 bus rate now. (10Gb/s)

Which is USB 3.1 Gen 2, aka as "Superspeed+"

/: Bus 10.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 10000M
            |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 10000M

Comment

Working...
            X