Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks Google: Linux Kernel Finally Nearing Support For The Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    I tried the old version 1 trackpad one year ago and it didn't work with Linux either. Maybe some driver was missing? I think I managed to pair it via bluez5, but then what. The /dev/ input device didn't produce any output when touching the trackpad.
    It didn't work? You gotta be kidding me! I've used the old version 1 a couple of years ago for a while and it worked fine back then, so I don't see why it wouldn't be working anymore now.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

Because the Magic Trackpad is the best. You have to try it to understand. I have a Magic Trackpad 1 next to two mice and it is such a great pointing device for browsing the web and doing desktop stuff. Multitouch gestures are a cool bonus on top. You can get the Magic Trackpad 1 really cheap these days on Ebay, it was formerly around ~70 €. I describe the using experience as spectacular and it has solid Linux support.
      I've tried the Magic Trackpad a couple of years ago and I wasn't impressed, so I disagree with your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by OMTDesign View Post
        On a side note, the GUI for libinput-gestures was recently updated. https://gitlab.com/cunidev/gestures
        Has anyone gotten it to work? When I installed it, it completely messed up by base Libinput config, and I could not get it to work with any commands.
        Works for me on Arch and Manjaro. Sadly only with max three finger gestures.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It didn't work? You gotta be kidding me! I've used the old version 1 a couple of years ago for a while and it worked fine back then, so I don't see why it wouldn't be working anymore now.
          Maybe the one I used was broken or I didn't have some driver. The device appeared in bluez and as an input device, but just didn't produce anything via the device file.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
            Just a question: why would anyone use an external trackpad?
            I always hear people complain about how unpractical notebooks trackpads are and use a mouse. Why would you use a trackpad on a desktop, where you can use a mouse, or an external trackpad on a notebook with an internal one?
            Not to be a dick, but I assume you are the same type of person who thinks that "any day now Apple will 'give in' and provide touch screens for the mac".
            The whole point is that Apple doesn't need touch screens because a MagicPad provides all the functionality of a touchscreen in a convenient location.
            You don't get JUST mouse functionality (ie pointing device and click), that's the point. You get the full set of touch gestures including scroll, pan, zoom. It really is astonishingly good, and I remain amazed that any customers chooses to buy an Apple mouse rather than the Magic Pad.

The Magic Pad 1 is OK, but anyone who buys one (especially second hand) should be aware that the spring used to hold the three AA batteries in place used substandard metal and tends to weaken over time. Easiest way to cope is fold some aluminum foil to create a few mm thick little conductive wodge to put in along with the batteries to force contact. Easy enough to do but kinda a hassle.
            The Trackpad 2 is much nicer in having the battery built-in and easily recharged (or the device reconnected) to the main computer by Lightning. Presumably even with a Linux box you can still plug a Lightning cable into USB and have convenient charging whenever you want, but I expect the Lightning connection to the OS and pairing thereby won't work :-(

Comment

Originally posted by name99 View Post
              I expect the Lightning connection to the OS and pairing thereby won't work :-(
              the cited patch explicitly mentions,
              Add support for Apple Magic Trackpad 2 over USB and bluetooth, putting the device in multi-touch mode.
              :-) <3

just bought one after reading this lol

edit: I thought the article was posted yesterday
              Last edited by mikelpr; 01 October 2019, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X