Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks Google: Linux Kernel Finally Nearing Support For The Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Google: Linux Kernel Finally Nearing Support For The Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Phoronix: Thanks Google: Linux Kernel Finally Nearing Support For The Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Apple announced the Magic Trackpad 2 almost three years ago to the day while the mainline Linux kernel will finally be supporting this multi-touch device soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and is a much larger touchpad compared to the original Magick Trackpad. There unfortunately hasn't been any mainline Linux kernel support for the Magick Trackpad 2, but some out-of-tree options.
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Hopefully this patch will make it into the next Linux kernel release. The Magick Trackpad 2 retails for $120~130 USD.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typos:

Whoops, too much usage of ImageMagick / GraphicsMagick. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I tried the old version 1 trackpad one year ago and it didn't work with Linux either. Maybe some driver was missing? I think I managed to pair it via bluez5, but then what. The /dev/ input device didn't produce any output when touching the trackpad.

Comment

Meanwhile, Logitech T650 trackpad work fine after a firmware upgrade 4 years ago to move the "tap to click" and "tap with two fingers to rightclick" among other gestures from a OS driver to the trackpad firmware itself. https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comm...ions_on_linux/

With this release, the following gestures will be enabled out of the box:

Adds single tap to click
          Adds double tap to double click
          Adds 2-finger tap to right click
          Adds 2-finger click to right click
          Adds 3-finger tap to middle click
          Adds 1-finger tap on right bottom corner to right-click
          Adds single finger tap n' hold to left-click and drag
          When mechanical click is pressed, edge-gestures are disabled

Comment

I'm using an Apple Magic Trackpad I on Mint 19 as I write this. Only basic functions, but it works well. Had to kick it a couple of time to get it paired, but now it wakes up when with a single tap when the machine starts. Look forward to Linux support for the Magic Trackpad II.

Comment

Just a question: why would anyone use an external trackpad?
              I always hear people complain about how unpractical notebooks trackpads are and use a mouse. Why would you use a trackpad on a desktop, where you can use a mouse, or an external trackpad on a notebook with an internal one?

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                I always hear people complain about how unpractical notebooks trackpads are and use a mouse. Why would you use a trackpad on a desktop, where you can use a mouse, or an external trackpad on a notebook with an internal one?
                Because the Magic Trackpad is the best. You have to try it to understand. I have a Magic Trackpad 1 next to two mice and it is such a great pointing device for browsing the web and doing desktop stuff. Multitouch gestures are a cool bonus on top. You can get the Magic Trackpad 1 really cheap these days on Ebay, it was formerly around ~70 €. I describe the using experience as spectacular and it has solid Linux support.

Comment

On a side note, the GUI for libinput-gestures was recently updated. https://gitlab.com/cunidev/gestures
                  Has anyone gotten it to work? When I installed it, it completely messed up by base Libinput config, and I could not get it to work with any commands.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                    The same reason one would want to use a trackball instead of a mouse. Only a trackpad has much lower bar for entry. Both of course have their own strengths and weaknesses, but both allow one to control the computer without moving your arms and with minimal strain on you wrists.

The big differences with notebook trackpads are: The position (it's next to your keyboard, allowing for a more relaxed arm position), the height (no notebook below it) and the size (not limited to the space left below the keyboard).

And these trackpads are relative huge. Most notebooks have very small touchpads (much smaller than the space available) or they have "hinged" trackpad, which means they don't "click" on all locations. The large Apple trackpads, especially the latest model, allow for most actions without ever running out of trackpad space or ending up in a corner where you can't click. All in all they are very pleasant in day to day use.

Comment

Working...
                    X