No announcement yet.

CompuLab Goes WILD With Debian-Based Android WiFi RTT Indoor Location Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompuLab Goes WILD With Debian-Based Android WiFi RTT Indoor Location Tracking

Phoronix: CompuLab Goes WILD With Debian-Based Android WiFi RTT Indoor Location Tracking

The folks at the Linux-friendly CompuLab hardware vendor have introduced WILD, the first WiFi RTT access point to allow for WiFi indoor location detection/tracking with supported Android 9 smartphones. CompuLab WILD is able to deliver down under 0.5 meter accuracy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what is it for please?

Comment

Something like cheap indoor gps?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        what is it for please?
        Are you so poor that you don't have a mansion big enough to lose yourself into? You really don't have a huge old mansion with thick stone walls so that GPS signal does not penetrate?

You need to git gud bro.

More seriously, if it's in Android, it's for tracking user activity of course, what else. Apps can provide even more specific reactions to what you are doing. They will know you are in the kitchen, or on the throne and present you a suitable experience.

This technology is great for IoT though, it saves a lot of hassle and money as you don't need to equip all the devices in the swarm with a GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post
          Something like cheap indoor gps?
          Cheap short-range Military-grade GPS. The civilian GPS isn't anywhere as accurate.

Comment

If you have a laptop with an Intel 8260 Wireless card you can use the instructions at http://www.winlab.rutgers.edu/~grute.../ftm/index.htm to setup your own AP with RTT indoor location measurement support.

I think the exact standard is called 802.11(REV)mc-FTM.

There's a PDF for people interested how it works.

Intel also published some measurements at https://github.com/intel/WiFi-Locati...ement-Database .

For the client if you don't have Android 9 and you want to use real Linux the patched iw from the installation instructions should work.
            Last edited by mick3; 05 September 2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

For those that have no clue what you can use it for:
              In shops:
              - I am looking for... and voila, the shop wifi directs you to the right aisle, together with a route. It can also show you the route with the least traffic.
              In house:
              - press the lights off button, and voila, the lights in the room that you are currently are in, get turned off
              - increase volume button -> the volume of the amplifier in the room that you are in gets louder
              At work:
              - unlock stuff, lock stuff...
              - where's he at? Oh man, he again on the shitter
              Also: if you use the esp8266 with small batteries on your cat, it makes for a cheap lightweight GPS. That is, if your neighbours co-operate with you upgrading the firmwarez of their access points :-).

So yes, 0.5m is incredible... To think that previously some companies wanted to install "ultra"sonic beacons in shops so an app on the phone could hear where you were.
              I actually doubt the 0.5m number. That can only be possible in clear lab conditions, not in my house (with large metal plates).

Comment

Will be interesting to see if Android 9 phones are offered at very good prices in Gaza and the Occupied Territories.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                  For those that have no clue what you can use it for:
                  I forgot to mention that one time a guy came running to me telling me he forgot his phone in the building. And yes, we could track the phone's last whereabouts... right out of the building.
                  That was just grepping the logs for the mac of his phone. And no, it never came back.
                  It also made clear that not everybody likes the possibility of tracking the phone. So we removed that from the web interface until we could get a 1:1 relation between a user and a phone.
                  The data was logged for maintenance/security reasons anyway so any GDPR like law was not going to remove that possibility. Just the access to that data got restricted.
                  For myself it was handy to track my phone because it was a clear check in/check out time so I could write my hours more easily.

Comment

Working...
                  X