Linux Patches Working On High Resolution Scrolling For Logitech Mice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Patches Working On High Resolution Scrolling For Logitech Mice

Phoronix: Linux Patches Working On High Resolution Scrolling For Logitech Mice

The latest work being sought by Google's Chrome OS team for inclusion into the upstream Linux kernel is high-resolution scrolling for Logitech mice...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Libratbag & Piper do not work with my MX Master 2S ; however, Solaar does and is great

Comment

Excellent, high resolution scrolling is the bomb diggity. It would be nice if this could be standardized though, I'd like to make a smooth scrolling retrofit for my trackball.

Comment

What's the advantage of this? Does it bring advantages to gaming? At least potentially?

Comment

I just hope DEs won't pick up as a X-axis scrollwheel somehow... Imagine the confusion!
          That's great, I've always wanted better handling of these events, which are way too much "hardcoded" in various parts of the OS design to my liking.

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
          What's the advantage of this? Does it bring advantages to gaming? At least potentially?
          Well, I guess you can have smoother scrolling with this, which might be a great thing for web browsers, but also computer design software that often requires scrolling around, or more generally, any slider/scrollbar.

As for gaming... Maybe, but I don't see it useful apart maybe from a couple games where a high precision input for a continuously variable setting might be required. Flight simulators with throttle/flaps controls comes to my mind, but not much else (and do you really want to play a flight sim with a mouse?).
          Oh, yeah, that would be great if retrofitted to Osmos, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
            It's mostly great for smooth scrolling. I find it really nice in Windows.

Comment

Dose this apply to other mice as well?

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
                Libratbag & Piper do not work with my MX Master 2S ; however, Solaar does and is great
                Maybe take a look at the code and see if you can contribute a patch.
                Last edited by uid313; 31 August 2018, 04:36 AM.

Comment

You still need to mode switch the mouse which is probably more protocols, but yes a way to fix libinput to work with smooth scroll wheels would be nice. I am currently forced to keep the evdev xinput driver around because libinput can't handle this, and just giving it the data from the kernel might be a way to do this since they aren't accepting the patches to do so on their own level.

Comment

Contribute to libratbag!
                    A DBus daemon to configure input devices, mainly high-end and gaming mice - libratbag/libratbag

Run the command "lsusb" and copy the USB ID of your mouse and the name and write an issue with the information, or create a .device file.
                    Look at the example.device file.
                    A DBus daemon to configure input devices, mainly high-end and gaming mice - libratbag/libratbag

Comment

Working...
                    X