No announcement yet.

Realtek USB3 Hubs Will See Firmware Updates Delivered On Linux Via Fwupd/LVFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtek USB3 Hubs Will See Firmware Updates Delivered On Linux Via Fwupd/LVFS

Phoronix: Realtek USB3 Hubs Will See Firmware Updates Delivered On Linux Via Fwupd/LVFS

Linux firmware updating is on a roll with the fwupd updating utility and the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) for the distribution of these firmware files recently seeing AKiTiO Thunderbolt device support and NVMe SSD firmware updating being the next big task. Richard Hughes of Red Hat has also revealed he's been working on USB3 hub firmware support in conjunction with Realtek...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

See the vendor list.

Notably present is Dell and MSI. 👍
    Notably absent is Gigabyte. 👎

Comment

LVFS is getting a lot of steam lately. I'm wondering why vendors are suddenly starting to care about firmware updates, and to care about linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Notably absent is Gigabyte. 👎
        Gigabyte sucks anyway. Their "let's make hardware revisions where we remove features from motherboards" way is why they are and will remain in my blacklist for a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Gigabyte sucks anyway. Their "let's make hardware revisions where we remove features from motherboards" way is why they are and will remain in my blacklist for a long while.
          For me it's their marketing department refusing to use the conventional definition of a power phase. If they have their gate pins tied together in pairs with copper traces then they are not physically capable of making up independent phases, but with the Gigabyte definition each set of MOSFETS and an inductor makes up a phase. I can't stand behind that kind of language abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
            For me it's their marketing department refusing to use the conventional definition of a power phase. If they have their gate pins tied together in pairs with copper traces then they are not physically capable of making up independent phases, but with the Gigabyte definition each set of MOSFETS and an inductor makes up a phase. I can't stand behind that kind of language abuse.
            Heh, that's outright bs.

Speaking of bs, they also lied about ECC support in ryzen boards (as for some reason not all their boards support ECC), then after people complained they fixed the specification sheets with the total bs statement of "runs ECC ram in non-ECC mode" (what's the point of that?).
            Some proof of this accusation http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/2069...-boards?page=1

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Heh, that's outright bs.

Speaking of bs, they also lied about ECC support in ryzen boards (as for some reason not all their boards support ECC), then after people complained they fixed the specification sheets with the total bs statement of "runs ECC ram in non-ECC mode" (what's the point of that?).
              Some proof of this accusation http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/2069...-boards?page=1
              Oh it gets worse with ASRock, I wonder if their AMD team even knows what they are designing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjCq_bO4Uc

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

Oh it gets worse with ASRock, I wonder if their AMD team even knows what they are designing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjCq_bO4Uc
                And Asus... so probably every single vendor sucks these days. I do agree Gigabyte are just awful though.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  And Asus... so probably every single vendor sucks these days. I do agree Gigabyte are just awful though.
                  ASUS does have a few true 8 phase Ryzen compatible boards though. But I do agree with him that not knowing what voltage controller you have and picking really cheap MOSFETS is not a good thing on an X470 motherboard.

Comment

Michael, there is typo:
                    Fwupd

Comment

Working...
                    X