The Next Challenge For Fwupd / LVFS Is Supporting NVMe SSD Firmware Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Challenge For Fwupd / LVFS Is Supporting NVMe SSD Firmware Updates

Phoronix: The Next Challenge For Fwupd / LVFS Is Supporting NVMe SSD Firmware Updates

With UEFI BIOS updating now working well with the Fwupd firmware updating utility and Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) for distributing these UEFI update capsules, Richard Hughes at Red Hat is next focusing on NVMe solid-state drives for being able to ship firmware updates under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How would you update NVMe SSD Firmware on Windows?
    I didn't know it was user serviceable.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
      How would you update NVMe SSD Firmware on Windows?
      I didn't know it was user serviceable.
      Using some software provided by the manufacturer probably.

Samsung Magician is the tool for updating Samsung SSDs for example.

Crucial has a bootable linux-based updater to update SSD firmware (which is imho a much better choice, updating firmware from inside Windows has never been a great idea).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Crucial has a bootable linux-based updater to update SSD firmware (which is imho a much better choice, updating firmware from inside Windows has never been a great idea).
        from the article it appears that nvme drives have "slots" for firmware. so you can have several different firmware versions on the drive and configure which one is used.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          from the article it appears that nvme drives have "slots" for firmware. so you can have several different firmware versions on the drive and configure which one is used.
          It's mostly for avoiding hardbricks. If the drive can't "boot" or encounters issues with the new firmware it will switch to the older one. I doubt the user can have any control

Comment

It's mostly for avoiding hardbricks. If the drive can't "boot" or encounters issues with the new firmware it will switch to the older one. I doubt the user can have any control
            I can live without hard bricks

possibly for also being able to load different firmware for different operating modes in higher end drives (write iops intensive, read intensive etc)

Comment

Samsung also have a FreeDOS-based utility for their SSDs, which is not as friendly as Linux to most people and more annoying to setup in BIOS if it won't even boot from it. Awful software though (not because it's DOS, but it's just full of bugs and awkward).

I mean... I had to use it since you know, no Windows... and no storage pass through in VMs.

Comment

But how do I update Samsung SSD firmware in my Lenovo? 'Cause the Arch Wiki says "Magician only supports Samsung-branded SSDs; those manufactured by Samsung for OEMs (e.g., Lenovo) are not supported."
                Lenovo provides a nice bootable image for updating the BIOS, but not for the SSD, and since I apparently can't use the Samsung tool either, I'm stuck with the current firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  But how do I update Samsung SSD firmware in my Lenovo? 'Cause the Arch Wiki says "Magician only supports Samsung-branded SSDs; those manufactured by Samsung for OEMs (e.g., Lenovo) are not supported."
                  Lenovo provides a nice bootable image for updating the BIOS, but not for the SSD, and since I apparently can't use the Samsung tool either, I'm stuck with the current firmware?
                  That's... a Lenovo issue man, so mailbomb their support people if you actually have an issue and you really need a firmware update for it (usually for lack of features that were fixed after release, if any).

I usually never buy laptops with SSDs. I always buy SSDs separately so I know what I'm buying.

Comment

I usually never buy laptops with SSDs. I always buy SSDs separately so I know what I'm buying.
                    I wish I could've done that, but I don't make much money and this laptop was already costly for me (but it was totally worth it though!), so I couldn't/can't justify buying a separate SSD just for the sake of receiving firmware updates.

Comment

Working...
                    X