Intel SSD 660p: 512GB Of NVMe Storage For $99 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    FWIW my OS is on a mirrored pair of 300 GB WD Velociraptors, and my /home filesystem is on a mirrored pair of HGST He8's.
    throw away velociraptors, buy ssd, put os, swap and home on it. leave videoarchive on harddrives.
    It works really well.
    lol
    Putting /home on SSD would be a nice performance boost for the Steam games, Virtualbox VM's, and a few other apps, but the $thousands that would cost today isn't worth it.
    stop this crazy talk. $100 ssd will easily hold all frequently used files, including steam games if you don't switch between 20 games per hour(you wouldn't be able to do that without ssd anyway, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Damn, that feel when people think TLC is high-end these days.
      optane is high-end

Comment

Ever priced out 16 TB of enterprise grade SSD?
        btw, "enterprise grade SSD" is an equivalent of "impossibly good hdd"
        since you are replacing "enterprise grade hdd", shittiest ssd will be better anyway

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Not sure what you mean with BTU, but it should reduce vibrations as well as power consumption/dissipation.
          BTU = British Thermal Unit

Comment

Worrying about if a hunk of man-made machinery takes 7 seconds or 16 seconds to boot sounds pretty damn silly to me. Personally it could take 3 minutes and wouldn't bother me, not really something that concerns me. That's just me though...

Comment

Bah.. I still use 160Gb Intel X25-M daily.. It came out like 10 years a go. SLC SSD

Can't see much difference in boot times compared to "modern" SSD's. If any at all.

And WHERE THE FUCK are you hurrying all the time? "Desktop boot is 7 sec instead of 16, which is major difference". Bla-bla-bla.. are you people rebooting your PC's in every 2 minutes or what? When you do it once a day it does not matter a zip if it's taking 5seconds or 15. When it indeed does bother you - please, go see a doctor over anxiety syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                Worrying about if a hunk of man-made machinery takes 7 seconds or 16 seconds to boot sounds pretty damn silly to me. Personally it could take 3 minutes and wouldn't bother me, not really something that concerns me. That's just me though...
                I want it for videogames. Loading screens are the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  Yeah, I find interesting that some people still believe the myth that says SSDs have a very limited life and will die after a couple years.

I have a pair of the infamous Samsung 840 Evo SSDs, that are pushing 5 years now. Still going strong.

The Tech Report tested a bunch of SSDs, to find out that all of them passed way more than the manufacturer estimated life, but the myth persists:

https://techreport.com/review/27909/...heyre-all-dead

But https://www.computerworld.com/articl...iscovered.html

Hard Drives usually don't die completely and suddenly like that, while it's totally the norm with SSDs, some even have self-destruct mechanisms on them. It's also more viable to have mirrors with HDDs because they're cheaper for large amounts of storage, so... you know, that counts for practical reliability.

Comment

When people have busy lives in a busy world, boot time MATTERS. There is nothing the world hates more than a period of non-usability.

I could not have reduced that down more eloquently.
                    Last edited by creative; 11 August 2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                      When people have busy lives in a busy world, boot time MATTERS.
                      Yeah, the tragedy, you get 10 seconds less to slouch off or sleep per day (assuming you reboot every day). I'm sure when you go into bed or out of bed first thought is to save as many seconds as possible. God forbid you forget your car keys or whatever else, it's a huge tragedy, you waste more precious seconds. And that is on point: we're talking seconds here, not minutes.

I'll give you something though: people love to complain about being busy these days that they can't afford to waste a few seconds. Really fashionable thing in today's world.

Comment

Working...
                      X