Linux 4.19 To Add Driver Supporting The Cougar 500k Gaming Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19 To Add Driver Supporting The Cougar 500k Gaming Keyboard

Phoronix: Linux 4.19 To Add Driver Supporting The Cougar 500k Gaming Keyboard

Right now if using the Cougar 500k gaming keyboard on Linux, when pressing any of the special function keys the keyboard will stop responding. With Linux 4.19 that will be fixed thanks to a new "HID_COUGAR" driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Correction: "membrane based keyboard", not "membane based kernel"
    The Cougar 500k is an NKPO Membrane based kernel that features an onboard 32-bit ARM processor

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post
      Correction: "membrane based keyboard", not "membane based kernel"
      Yep fixed, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've heard of N-key Roll-over (NKRO) but what is NKPO? It does appear part of their official description...

Comment

What the fuck? I can understand advanced functions not working without a driver, but hanging the keyboard seems like a keyboard firmware issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
            It does appear part of their official description...
            I haven't seen "NKPO" in their website though...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I haven't seen "NKPO" in their website though...
              Indeed. Maybe I've committed the same mistake... the reference I see is on Newegg's page [1] and I thought it was official wording.

[1] https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16823567008

Comment

I have a Cougar mouse here (not on my Linux workstation but on some other Windows computer.

Without drivers, it just work like you expect from any mouse
                With driver, it does not work on most surface (the only usable surface I found by now is a upside down mousepad.)

Comment

Is this a joke? It looks like it is from a 90's cyberpunk movie. I am sure the next in the product series will be called the Ethel Merman 900X.

Flat profile scissor switch all the way, silent too. Kensington slim type did it right, and it looks like the razor death stalker standard did it well too, although using a membrane. Either will cost you about twenty five bucks.
                  Last edited by creative; 24 July 2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Lol. Does anyone actually like the look of this stuff? It would be great to get opinions of actual gamers or are you like me and just have to put up with this kind of tacky stuff if you need a performant machine?

It is a shame because I actually like some of the ideas such as The split keyboard (I only ever use the left side so I assume it would be more snappy).
                    I also like the idea of the keys along the far left side. I miss them from my old SunRay keyboard.

But.... ugh! I'll never pick up any girls at an IT conference using that thing!

Comment

Working...
                    X