• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't you had a 960 and it just died?

Comment

Originally posted by b8e5n View Post
      Didn't you had a 960 and it just died?
      I had a 960 evo for 2 hours and mine died, got an rma and it's still going strong

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post

I had a 960 evo for 2 hours and mine died, got an rma and it's still going strong
        It was some EVO I had that died, still got it somewhere.... I tried RMA'ing it a few times but the Samsung website never worked. Mind sharing what URL you used for RMA'ing it from?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It was some EVO I had that died, still got it somewhere.... I tried RMA'ing it a few times but the Samsung website never worked. Mind sharing what URL you used for RMA'ing it from?
          I used my e-tailer
          In Norway by law we're allowed to do the RMA directly with retailer we purchased from and they do it to samsung and or other manufactures.
          I receive my new drive before they've done RMA back to samsung so for me it was done in 5 days or so

Comment

I just ran this test case against a new SanDisk Extreme SSD using USB 3 Gen 2 and a coaxial USB cable (not a .99 cheapie) with the Intel Haswell based USB controller . While it stunk on the database tests, it actually beat the Crucial and Intel drives on a few of the IO tests. I was surprised.

I will have to re-run this test on a ASM-2142 with a 4 lane PCIe v3 connection. It is interesting how far the bottom has come up.

Comment

Michael, how do I run the tests on a specific drive? I have 5 drives in my computer and it automatically ran on the drive which the current folder was on. Do I need to move the entire test suite to the drive which I want to test, or can I just run it from an empty folder on the targeted drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                Michael, how do I run the tests on a specific drive? I have 5 drives in my computer and it automatically ran on the drive which the current folder was on. Do I need to move the entire test suite to the drive which I want to test, or can I just run it from an empty folder on the targeted drive?
                Edit ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml (or its /etc/phoronix-test-suite.xml as root) and change EnvironmentDirectory to wherever the desired drive is mounted.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sequential reads here yield an impressive ~3400MB/s, utilising a decent portion of the ~4GB/s theoretical bandwidth of the scarce pcie 3 lanes allocated.

But no other result comes even close to using 2GB/s, which could be catered to by merely allocating 2 scarce lanes (or 4x pcie 2 lanes).

Most of us, or even all of us most of the time, are ~wasting 2 precious pcie 3 lanes for each nvme drive, even the very best, like the evo here. Bandwidth is rarely the bottleneck.

Is there a solution? The latency advantages of direct to the cpu nvme (i.e. not high latency chipset nvme ports) , but using fewer lanes?
                  Last edited by msroadkill612; 14 August 2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by msroadkill612 View Post
                    Sequential reads here yield an impressive ~3400MB/s, utilising a decent portion of the ~4GB/s theoretical bandwidth of the scarce pcie 3 lanes allocated.

But no other result comes even close to using 2GB/s, which could be catered to by merely allocating 2 scarce lanes (or 4x pcie 2 lanes).
                    It is explained by the SSD having too little of those slow TLC chips. 512 GB and larger models have more chips and thus more bandwidth especially for writes. This one is rated for only 1500 MB/s writes but 512 GB model has double the capacity and double writing bandwidth.

Originally posted by msroadkill612 View Post
                    Most of us, or even all of us most of the time, are ~wasting 2 precious pcie 3 lanes for each nvme drive, even the very best, like the evo here. Bandwidth is rarely the bottleneck.
                    EVO is not the best that Samsung has to offer. It is a very good SSD never the less.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

It is explained by the SSD having too little of those slow TLC chips. 512 GB and larger models have more chips and thus more bandwidth especially for writes. This one is rated for only 1500 MB/s writes but 512 GB model has double the capacity and double writing bandwidth.

EVO is not the best that Samsung has to offer. It is a very good SSD never the less.
                      I am aware of these details, but the fact remains that even the best rarely use >2GB/s, and then dont exceed it by much.

What options exist for running nvme with fewer pcie3 lanes, or lesser pcie2 lanes?

Comment

Working...
                      X