Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Last month Samsung introduced the 970 Series solid-state drives with the mainstream 970 EVO models and 970 PRO models for professionals/enthusiasts. The 970 Series moves to a 64-layer flash and uses a five-core Phoenix controller. For those curious about the Samsung 970 EVO performance under Linux, I have carried out some quick benchmarks to show off its potential under Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I noticed that using 3 MiB partitions alignment instead of common 1 MiB produces better results with Evo 970. See here.

I was testing random read / write performance though, which you didn't include.
    Last edited by shmerl; 12 June 2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

What I understood from various scattered info, it's because TLC NAND uses 3 bits per cell (that's T in Triple Level Cell). So erase block size for such SSD should be divisible by 3 and some suggested that for Evo-s, it's 1536 KiB. And it's generally beneficial to align partitions according to the erase block size. Samsung though are notorious for dodging any questions about their erase block size.
      Last edited by shmerl; 12 June 2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

What's up with the standard deviation in some of the tests? (Or am I reading them wrong?)

Comment

Never heard of flashbench, interesting tool.

Comment

You forgot about Optane SSD in the benchmark.

Comment

Not just Optane, where's the 960 EVO & 960 PRO?

Comment

Not just Optane, where's the Samsung 960 EVO & 960 PRO in your tests.

Comment

"Record Size: 4Kb"
                  4 Kelvin-bits?

Comment

Originally posted by AusMatt View Post
                    Not just Optane, where's the Samsung 960 EVO & 960 PRO in your tests.
                    Don't have them... I rarely get SSD review samples.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X