Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Linux File-System Benchmarks vs. Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS

Phoronix: Bcachefs Linux File-System Benchmarks vs. Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS

With Bcachefs on its trek towards the mainline Linux kernel, this week I conducted some benchmarks using the very latest Bcachefs file-system code and compared its performance to the mainline Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, and XFS file-system competitors on both rotating and solid-state storage.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is COW only "being worked on"? I thought it was one of Bcachefs' founding principles?

Comment

While some benchmarks is fun, it is utterly pointless as Bcachefs is far from done so far and lacks lots of functionality.
      Bcachefs is also stating that they prioritize stability and bugfixes and that might as well affect performance so this is subject to change obviously.

I admit that I am am biased towards BTRFS, but let's try to compare the feature set (see table below)
      So alright, the two features not implemented (writeback caching and encryption) in BTRFS can at least be done with external tools. I hope that Bcachefs gets mainlined eventually , but so far it seems that they have a bit to catch up to be on par with BTRFS. Best of luck

Feature Bcachefs Btrfs
      Data checksum Implemented, Not usable Implemented, Usable
      Compression Implemented, Not usable Implemented, Usable
      Scrubbing Not yet implemented Implemented, Usable
      Writeback caching Implemented Not implemented*
      Replication Not yet implemented Implemented, Usable
      Encryption Implemented, Not reccomended Not implemented*
      Snapshots Not yet implemeted Implemented, Usable

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        While some benchmarks is fun, it is utterly pointless as Bcachefs is far from done so far and lacks lots of functionality.
        Bcachefs is also stating that they prioritize stability and bugfixes and that might as well affect performance so this is subject to change obviously.

I admit that I am am biased towards BTRFS, but let's try to compare the feature set (see table below)
        So alright, the two features not implemented (writeback caching and encryption) in BTRFS can at least be done with external tools. I hope that Bcachefs gets mainlined eventually , but so far it seems that they have a bit to catch up to be on par with BTRFS. Best of luck

Feature Bcachefs Btrfs
        Data checksum Implemented, Not usable Implemented, Usable
        Compression Implemented, Not usable Implemented, Usable
        Scrubbing Not yet implemented Implemented, Usable
        Writeback caching Implemented Not implemented*
        Replication Not yet implemented Implemented, Usable
        Encryption Implemented, Not reccomended Not implemented*
        Snapshots Not yet implemeted Implemented, Usable

Would you like to add XFS to the table? Please...

Comment

Came to see bcachefs perform well, left wanting to actually use XFS and EXT4.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            That'd be a short list. Only data checksum is implemented in XFS. And I'm not sure it's actual data checksum and not only metadata.

Unlike Btrfs, ZFS and BcacheFS, XFS isn't a copy-on-write filesystem. There are plans to alter it to become one, but afaik no progress at all has been made in the past year other than adding reflink deduplication. Which is still an experimental feature and not recommended in a production environment.

Here are the details, as long as you can understand and put up with the techno babble that went waaaay over my head: https://lwn.net/Articles/747633/
            Last edited by Beherit; 30 May 2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              It does however give a nice handy point in time performance snapshot. and even though you are biased towards BTRFS, you have to admit that it is not a bad start!

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                Only data checksum is implemented in XFS. And I'm not sure it's actual data checksum and not only metadata.
                I'm curious about that too. According to the ArchWiki, "Unlike Btrfs and ZFS, the CRC32 checksum only applies to the metadata and not actual data." If that's no longer true, I hope someone will provide more info here.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

There is little point. XFS is one generation behind BTRFS in terms of features. Basically it would be "Not Supported" in the entire column.

Comment

Michael, Y U no test ZFS?

It's available in Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X