Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel's HID Multi-Touch Driver Gets Rewritten, Microsoft Surface Dial Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel's HID Multi-Touch Driver Gets Rewritten, Microsoft Surface Dial Support

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel's HID Multi-Touch Driver Gets Rewritten, Microsoft Surface Dial Support

A major rewrite of the Linux kernel's HID multi-touch input code has been announced in order to support newer input devices and other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about better touchpad support? Some touchpads provide different protocols/buses just for compatibility reasons. ps/2 emulation, i2c/smbus.

I wonder if it's better to use the most native bus/protocol rather than the "emulated" one. If it is... Would the kernel automatically choose the best one?

Comment

If you mean the version best supported by the kernel, then that is likely. If you mean the absolute best for each device, it depends on driver support.

Comment

After one year and a half, ELAN touchpad (ELAN1203:00 04F3:3043) is still completely dead on ASUS ROG G752 laptop series:
        Non-Optimus laptop ASUS G752VS-GC063D-CST256. 17.3" FHD LED 1920x1080, Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50Ghz), 16GB DDR4, 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD 7200rpm, DVDRW-DL, Nvidia GTX1070 8GB GDDR5, Wifi 802.11ac+Bluetooth 4.1 (Dual band) 2*2, Gb LAN, HDMI, mDP, Intel WiDi, USB3.0 x4, USB3.1-Type C(Gen2) with Thunderbolt, HD webcam, Illuminated KB, no OS. Hello, after experimenting few days ago with Ubuntu 16.04.1, 16.10 and 17.04, among other problems I found that touchpad and Fn keys (all except volu...

It has been recently reported that the Anaconda pre-installation setup of Fedora 28 Atomic Workstation is one and unique first time ever that "ELAN1203:00 04F3:3043" touchpad is working. In other words, regardless of whether Asus G752 owner use any other Fedora Atomic Workstation release, normal Fedora (version 28 included) or any other Linux distribution - "ELAN1203:00 04F3:3043" touchpad is always completely dead. After the installation of the Atomic Workstation 28 it is also dead.

Comment

Originally posted by zvober View Post
          After one year and a half, ELAN touchpad (ELAN1203:00 04F3:3043) is still completely dead on ASUS ROG G752 laptop series:
          Non-Optimus laptop ASUS G752VS-GC063D-CST256. 17.3" FHD LED 1920x1080, Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50Ghz), 16GB DDR4, 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD 7200rpm, DVDRW-DL, Nvidia GTX1070 8GB GDDR5, Wifi 802.11ac+Bluetooth 4.1 (Dual band) 2*2, Gb LAN, HDMI, mDP, Intel WiDi, USB3.0 x4, USB3.1-Type C(Gen2) with Thunderbolt, HD webcam, Illuminated KB, no OS. Hello, after experimenting few days ago with Ubuntu 16.04.1, 16.10 and 17.04, among other problems I found that touchpad and Fn keys (all except volu...

It has been recently reported that the Anaconda pre-installation setup of Fedora 28 Atomic Workstation is one and unique first time ever that "ELAN1203:00 04F3:3043" touchpad is working. In other words, regardless of whether Asus G752 owner use any other Fedora Atomic Workstation release, normal Fedora (version 28 included) or any other Linux distribution - "ELAN1203:00 04F3:3043" touchpad is always completely dead. After the installation of the Atomic Workstation 28 it is also dead.
          General service announcement (not necessarily talking to you as I don't know who reported the bug there and if this was also reported upstream), it's better to post kernel bugs in the upstream kernel bugtracker, as that's where kernel developers can actually see them.

Ubuntu bugtracker isn't going to help anyone.

Comment

That dial thingy is pretty neat, assuming the application actually does have support for it. I know it is totally a vendor lock-in bait, but it is probably the only new human interface device I've seen in a while that actually makes some sense.

Comment

What a useless device >The worst is at 00:34 : it tooks 20s to choose right item ; touching it takes 2s xD

Comment

Working...
              X