No announcement yet.

LG Has A Ryzen-Powered 38-Inch Thin Client Monitor With Ubuntu Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG Has A Ryzen-Powered 38-Inch Thin Client Monitor With Ubuntu Linux Support

Phoronix: LG Has A Ryzen-Powered 38-Inch Thin Client Monitor With Ubuntu Linux Support

LG Electronics is rolling out a 3840 x 1600, 38-inch "UltraWide Thin Client Monitor" that is basically an all-in-one system and features support for Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Take note: the maximum 8GB ram supported by the Dell XPS 13 is deemed sufficient for a thin client.

Comment

A thin-client monitor? Hmm... That is something new and it really piqued my interest. So it's targeted for a business market... Hmm... Anyone using a thin-client monitor at home?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Take note: the maximum 8GB ram supported by the Dell XPS 13 is deemed sufficient for a thin client.
        What relevance does that have to this LG monitor that can have up to 16GB RAM?

Comment

if this TV has a webcam, it makes more senses because openCL+openCV shall be installed already. the TV can know who is watching her; who has fell asleep in front of her and lower the volume or turn off.

Comment

Oh wow, that's one of the first products announced that is likely using the Ryzen E series of APUs (low TDP, 35W), that's some fast uptake right there.

I also totally approve the usage of 38'' ultrawide screens by LG, less thrilled by the fact that it is curved though.

With 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD this isn't really a "thin client" at all. Also a 38'' 4k widescreen isn't a common thin client screen.

Besides, "thin clients" have always been a scam so I'm not even surprised. Supposed to lower costs and make management easier, plant flowers and save kittens.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
              What relevance does that have to this LG monitor that can have up to 16GB RAM?
              He said that the Dell XPS 13, which is sold as a flagship laptop can mount UP TO 8GB of RAM, while this device sold as thin client comes by default with 8GB. And was implying that this was weird, or unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
                if this TV has a webcam, it makes more senses because openCL+openCV shall be installed already. the TV can know who is watching her; who has fell asleep in front of her and lower the volume or turn off.
                This is not a TV.

Comment

Though this is a pretty interesting product, I don't quite understand who the target demographic is. Being a curved display, it's obviously meant for a single-seat environment, so that eliminates a lot of potential uses (such as livingrooms or conference rooms). It's too large and probably too expensive for a family or office computer. It's too under-powered for an enthusiast. So, maybe it's good for a kiosk? Maybe a bedroom PC for watching Netflix? I can't really think of anything else.

Comment

I have a XPS 13 with 16GB so you're misinformed

Comment

Working...
                    X