Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Audio Class 3.0 Improvements Coming To Linux 4.18

Phoronix: USB Audio Class 3.0 Improvements Coming To Linux 4.18

With the recently minted Linux 4.17 kernel there was initial USB Audio Class 3.0 support for this audio-over-USB specification while with Linux 4.18 that UA3 support will be further enhanced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait a second...

There are also other USB audio improvements currently queued in the sound's "next" branch

Shouldn't it be "kernel"?

Comment

That's great, but that's for the standard only.
      What about the support of internal software mixer, for cards like the Focusrite Scarletts V2 ?
      We are in 2018 and professional soundcard makers are still ignoring the Linux platform... That's really sad :/

Comment

I had a Firewire one and it worked pretty well under Linux, but it took a long time before it happened. Such a pity.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Yeah.. Audient id14 is no good under Linux either. I just want it for its optical input, but the unit's defaults are unusable, and Linux can't configure it. Windows VM with USB passthrough is my workaround. It has an external PSU so the USB cable can be unplugged once it's configured.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
            That's great, but that's for the standard only.
            What about the support of internal software mixer, for cards like the Focusrite Scarletts V2 ?
            We are in 2018 and professional soundcard makers are still ignoring the Linux platform... That's really sad :/
            It is a pity, but it's not the end of the world. According to some quick searching ... you can set the mixer levels in Windows and reboot, and they stick. I agree, it's not ideal. It would also be a pity for people to think Focusrite devices have 'poor' Linux support, when they really work very well ( yes, with the hardware mixer in your version not supported ). Luckily I have a 1st generation Focusrite, and as far as I can tell, everything is 100% supported. Have you contacted Focusrite?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

It is a pity, but it's not the end of the world. According to some quick searching ... you can set the mixer levels in Windows and reboot, and they stick. I agree, it's not ideal. It would also be a pity for people to think Focusrite devices have 'poor' Linux support, when they really work very well ( yes, with the hardware mixer in your version not supported ). Luckily I have a 1st generation Focusrite, and as far as I can tell, everything is 100% supported. Have you contacted Focusrite?
              I'm very well aware of that, but it's a real annoyance when in my case you don't have anymore devices running Windows.
              Anyways, the official Focusrite statement about that matter hasn't evolved : "None of our products are supported for use on Linux." :/

Despite that, the device is running well, as it's USB class compliant, it's just the internal mixer feature that we can't access.
              Last edited by spykes; 22 May 2018, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Which kind of focusrite device do you have?
                I have a saffire 6 USB and that after some random time just doesn't make a sound anymore, have to plug it in again to get it to work again :|

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post

Which kind of focusrite device do you have?
                  I have a saffire 6 USB and that after some random time just doesn't make a sound anymore, have to plug it in again to get it to work again :|
                  Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I've had 100% stable operation across a huge variety of kernels ( some vanilla, some gentoo, some vanilla-plus-rt ) and laptops. The only time I've had issues is with dodgy USB ports or cables.

Comment

Working...
                  X