Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilverStone ET750-HG

Phoronix: SilverStone ET750-HG

It's been a while since last checking out any SilverStone power supplies, but the company recently introduced the ET750-HG "Essential Gold" series power supply and sent over one for our thoughts. The SilverStone ET750-HG ends up being an efficient, well-built power supply while not costing too much.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The single 140mm fan on this 80 PLUS Gold power suppliy is rated

Comment

I'm not seeing the point of a 750W PSU in a single GPU system. There is no way that such system can go beyond 500W mark unless you are into extreme OC or you have dozens of hard drives (which are more of an issue on startup, and one of the reasons staggered startup is a thing in storage servers).

Comment

I prefer to go as large as possible with the PSU to keep fan noise down. I don’t use ac in my computer space and running a relatively light load makes it easy to keep the PSU cool and quiet.

Be real, be sober.

Comment

Originally posted by WSmart View Post
          I prefer to go as large as possible with the PSU to keep fan noise down. I don’t use ac in my computer space and running a relatively light load makes it easy to keep the PSU cool and quiet.
          OK for fan noise, but technically speaking the efficiency of the PSU (i.e. the times it generates less heat) is best at 50-70% load. We are talking of up to 10% more or less efficiency (from 86% to 75% or like that).

I tend to use DC-DC PSUs and power bricks (AC-DC 12v usually) wherever possible. If you are using integrated graphics or an APU it's almost a no-brainer, 80w is usually enough for basic setups, 160w is plenty if you want to have more drives and whatever.

Also my gaming rig with a RX570 has a 300w setup (technically the DC-DC can do also 400w fine, the AC-DC unit can only hold 400w peaks). Given the hardware I used, that's perfectly adequate to run. But there the GPU fan does kick in and make noise when I game, so I could have used a normal PSU as well.

Back in the day I opened way too much PSUs to replace the shitty fan with something half-serious to drop the noise down, but then again I'm a qualified technician. Always ask a qualified technician before opening a PSU to know the ways it will try to kill you.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 16 May 2018, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X