No announcement yet.

Detailing The Idle Loop Ordering Problem & The Power Improvement In Linux 4.17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing The Idle Loop Ordering Problem & The Power Improvement In Linux 4.17

Phoronix: Detailing The Idle Loop Ordering Problem & The Power Improvement In Linux 4.17

Of the many great features/changes for Linux 4.17, one of the most exciting to us is the idle power efficiency and performance-per-Watt improvements on some systems thanks to a rework to the kernel's idle loop handling. Rafael Wysocki and Thomas Ilsche as two of the developers working on this big code change presented on their work today for this CPU idle loop ordering problem and its resolution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We need to have some sort of non-profit program for sending out wireless lapel microphones to people who might at some point need to record voice. It's a lot of effort to set up recordings like this, but if the audio is not readily intelligible, you might as well have just shared the slides.

Comment

We need graphs of the power improvement!...
      Graphs are pretty!

Comment

Is there a TL;DR of the talk?

Comment

Indeed, an hour of video seems inefficient to grasp just this concept.

This sums up the stuff technically: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/11/337

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            We need to have some sort of non-profit program for sending out wireless lapel microphones to people who might at some point need to record voice. It's a lot of effort to set up recordings like this, but if the audio is not readily intelligible, you might as well have just shared the slides.
            I passed that feedback on, but the organizers are working with what they got. The slides will be posted on the website, in the meantime here is my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_ View Post
              I passed that feedback on, but the organizers are working with what they got. The slides will be posted on the website, in the meantime here is my part.
              Cool, thanks. I was looking for a place in the area to deliver the equipment same-day, but it seems like Pisa is somewhat lacking for professional audio equipment shops.

Comment

Working...
              X