No announcement yet.

Intel Optane 800p SSD 118GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on your workload, but my laptop is much faster with an SSD. (Running Debian/SID and XFCE)

Compile times are ~4x faster. I'm using the machine as a desktop, not a server- app startup time is instantaneous. And it does matter- click on Firefox after bootup- you get a browser instantly. Similar for LibreOffice. IDEs (Netbeans, Eclipse) run much much faster, and autocomplete works without lag. Also, databases run faster if your dataset doesn't fit in memory. "apt upgrade" runs much faster too.

Linux is quite good on working with spinning rust disks, but SSDs are just another level. I haven't felt a speedup such as an SSD upgrade since I upgraded K5 to an Athlon. Maybe the only exception is if you have ridiculous amount of RAM and never reboot and data on your disk gets cached.

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    False. You're wrong on so many levels about this. More levels than I can count. My calculator doesn't have enough digits to tally how many levels of wrong you are about this. An SSD will accelerate workloads that are I/O bound. It will not accelerate workloads that are CPU bound or GPU bound.

Comment

Working...
    X