Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Rolls Out The MintBox Mini 2

Phoronix: Linux Mint Rolls Out The MintBox Mini 2

If you are looking for a tiny Linux PC and happen to be a Linux Mint user, the MintBox Mini 2 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The design looks awesome!...
    But, as long as they use Ubuntu as base instead of Debian and Cinnamon instead of KDE, I'm not interested.
    I don't like the spyware Canonical is putting in Ubuntu these days because of their close-friendship to Microsoft.
    I don't like the performance of Cinnamon, which at least on my laptop seem to be the slowest of all DEs.
    Nevertheless, I hope they have success with these devices!

Comment

Would be nice if it was available via amazon.de or co.uk. I hate paying that 24% extra when importing stuff from outside the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I don't like the spyware Canonical is putting in Ubuntu these days because of their close-friendship to Microsoft.
        Wow, lol. Do you know something we don't?

Comment

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post

Wow, lol. Do you know something we don't?
          Data collection and uploading to their servers similar to what Windows 10 is doing.
          They implemented this in 18.04, it's all over the news, with a quick search I think you can find it.
          This is what I call spyware.
          Do I need to explain their best-buddies friendship too?

Comment

But, as long as they use Ubuntu as base instead of Debian and Cinnamon instead of KDE, I'm not interested.
            I don't like the performance of Cinnamon, which at least on my laptop seem to be the slowest of all DEs.
            Nevertheless, I hope they have success with these devices!
            You can use Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)

Comment

It's nice but for the price of $350 I could build a Ryzen 2200G and actually play games on it. Actually, here's the parts list.

Comment

Data collection and uploading to their servers similar to what Windows 10 is doing.
                They implemented this in 18.04, it's all over the news, with a quick search I think you can find it.
                Do I need to explain their best-buddies friendship too?
                That is what I call paranoid FUD and drivel.

First, note that the Mint box runs Linux Mint - not Ubuntu. Mint (standard version) uses Ubuntu as the base, but it is not Ubuntu - Mint make their own decisions about what packages are installed by default, what configuration is used by default, what data is sent where by default. If Canonical (Ubuntu's company) made a deal to sell all your data to Microsoft, Mint could continue to use the Ubuntu base and simply not use that spyware package.

Secondly, Ubuntu 18 sends basic installation data to Canonical (if you have not clicked the obvious "opt out" box during installation). This has things like cpu and memory sizes. The idea is that Canonical will learn more about typical hardware used with their OS, so that they can concentrate more on what people actually use. That is all it is - hardly spyware, and hardly dramatic, and useful information for the Linux developer community (the statistics collected will be available to all). It is similar in principle to the package usage statistics collected by Debian (if you choose to enable the feature) for a decade or more.

Thirdly, you are probably thinking about the "send your searches to Amazon" feature of Ubuntu a few years ago. It was not nearly as bad as many paranoid conspiracy theorists think, was easily disabled, and was quickly changed to being "opt in" (which was a much better way of doing it). It was aimed at giving people a useful feature and simultaneously making some money for Canonical - it was not spyware, just a poorly considered advertising scheme. And Mint did not have it.

Fourthly, Windows 10 spyware is about sending /all/ your data to Windows - everything you type, everything you say (picked up by a microphone, so that the voice control will work better). This is completely different from anything Ubuntu has ever done.

A healthy scepticism and concern for privacy is important. Paranoia based on ignorance is not.

Comment

Ah come on, I hate Ubuntu too but this is bullshit.
                  See the mailing list post:
                  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/040139.html

It is a basic hardware telemetry that gathers info about your PC hardware, that is run inside the installer only, meant to know more their user base hardware so they can decide how to allocate better their resources (what is more important to fix).

And the other two systems are Popcon package installation statistics from Debian (totally evil action, also totally not opensource), and Apport that sends crash reports over (again totally evil action, and totally not opensource either).

Being all these just pre-configured packages you can just go and nuke them without consequences, and I personally doubt Mint includes them as they have no ties with Canonical.

Windows 10 telemetry is much more than that that, especially if you leave the default settings. This would be barely comparable to Windows 7 levels of (normal and acceptable) anonymous and technical telemetry, which on the contrary of Windows can be disabled in 5 seconds without any issue.

Comment

Windows 10 telemetry is definitely worse and I don't really see any harm in Canonical collecting some basic information, but wouldn't you guys agree that it'd be nicer if Canonical made the data collecting thing opt-in rather than opt-out?

Comment

Working...
                    X