CompuLab Fitlet 2 Is A Mighty Fine, Low-Power PC Preloaded With Linux Mint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompuLab Fitlet 2 Is A Mighty Fine, Low-Power PC Preloaded With Linux Mint

Phoronix: CompuLab Fitlet 2 Is A Mighty Fine, Low-Power PC Preloaded With Linux Mint

Over the past decade we have looked at many interesting PCs from CompuLab, a vendor capable of delivering Linux-friendly PCs that are originally designed and often catered to meet demanding industrial requirements. The latest Linux PC we have been putting through its paces the past several weeks has been the Fitlet2, which CompuLab describes as being designed "from the ground-up to minimize size and maximize capabilities, durability and thermal performance." After running our plethora of benchmarks on this mini Linux PC, we can say with confidence they have succeeded in their mission.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    Typos:
    Whoops, fixed. Thanks.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Also, digital signate?

Comment

It would be very interesting to know if this newer generation of Atom/Celeron CPU (aka Apollo Lake) does support (finally) PCID, which AFAIK the previous generation (Braswell) did not support.

If it still does not support PCID, it would be interesting to have a view on the impact of KPTI on different workloads. This little computer could be a perfect DIY router, but if there is a huge impact due to KPTI (when for example installing some DPI app, and thus switching very often between kernel and user space) it might be worth waiting for fitlet 2 to support other CPUs.

Comment

Waiting already for close to 1.5 years for those industrial apollo lakes (e38xx) to appear after their announcement. Whispers do claim sometime Q3 for the final sillicon.
          intel is tightlipped about the reason for the delays, and their board partners just shrug of problems on unfinished sillizium and stuff they cant talk about (in written form atleast). If you work as embedded dev and want to be treated like crap, intel is a good bet.

Comment

After reading the headline carelessly, I was disappointed to find it wasn't a PowerPC-based computer after all.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              due to the compact size of the Fitlet2 there is just one DDR3 DIMM.
              That's unfortunate. I'd really like to see an apples-to-apples comparison of what Apollo Lake can really do.

I think the popularity of people populating just one memory channel is probably the reason Intel doubled the cache, in Gemini Lake.

Comment

I have zotac ci327 with apollo lake atom as desktop and I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: CompuLab Fitlet 2 Is A Mighty Fine, Low-Power PC Preloaded With Linux Mint
                  The Fitlet2 is powered by Intel's Apollo Lake Atom hardware. Apollo Lake uses 14nm Goldmont cores derived from Intel's Skylake architecture and the successor to Braswell.http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=26090
                  Apollo Lake's Goldmont cores are derived from the *mont cores in previous Atoms, with relatively minor improvements gen-on-gen. They have absolutely nothing to do with the Core i-****-based lineup, besides the iGPU.

So please don't write anything like that, it's bad enough that a lot of us have to prevent IT anti-talent relatives and friends from buying Apollo- or Gemini Lake laptops for the sole reason that "it has 4 cores!!!". Sure, they have their uses, but most of the time those notebooks are horrendous and you have way better options for the same or marginally higher price.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
                    Apollo Lake's Goldmont cores are derived from the *mont cores in previous Atoms, with relatively minor improvements gen-on-gen.
                    Silvermont -> Goldmont can't be described as minor, nor can Bonnel -> Silvermont. Indeed, this family has come a long way from its humble, in-order origins.

They have absolutely nothing to do with the Core i-****-based lineup, besides the iGPU.
                    True. Good catch.

most of the time those notebooks are horrendous and you have way better options for the same or marginally higher price.
                    Often, not helped by the fact of only a single memory channel being populated and being paired with SSDs that are slower than you thought possible.

Unconstrained by cost, and if I'm trying to run a desktop OS, then I'd definitely go with a "Core i"-series CPU. But, perhaps for Chrome OS, HTPC, or if you can at least pair one of these with dual-channel memory and fast storage, I think they're probably quite workable.

Comment

Working...
                    X