CompuLab Fitlet 2 Is A Mighty Fine, Low-Power PC Preloaded With Linux Mint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Unconstrained by cost, and if I'm trying to run a desktop OS, then I'd definitely go with a "Core i"-series CPU. But, perhaps for Chrome OS, HTPC, or if you can at least pair one of these with dual-channel memory and fast storage, I think they're probably quite workable.
    Sure, for Chromebooks and the like Atoms are just fine, but for a desktop OS they represent a huge bottleneck.

My experience is that you can get a Core-based Pentium system for the same price, and the price gap to Core i3s is also negligible.
    Take into account that even a Broadwell i3 will be highly superior to these Atom/Celeron/Pentium CPUs, especially if they are paired with HDD or eMMC storage: SSDs are practically non-existent in this price range. If an SSD is advertised, it most often means an eMMC storage device: that's the same flash memory as the one used in SD/microSD cards.

Just wait and see what happens when you get hit by Windows update or some background caching on a 4-core Pentium machine with an HDD or eMMC.

And sure, Atoms have come a long way since the D-series, or even the Hyper-Threading, dual core Z2***-series, but improvements since the Z3***-series have largely been made due to advancements in manufacturing technology. I.e. due to the change in node size Intel have been able to add more and better optimized cache that allows better performance.
    Also, Silvermont is not a direct predecessor for Goldmont. If I remember correctly the order is: Silvermont, Airmont, Goldmont, but I might be mixing up Air- and Goldmont, in which case mea culpa.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
      Atoms have come a long way since the D-series, or even the Hyper-Threading, dual core Z2***-series, but improvements since the Z3***-series have largely been made due to advancements in manufacturing technology. I.e. due to the change in node size Intel have been able to add more and better optimized cache that allows better performance.
      Also, Silvermont is not a direct predecessor for Goldmont. If I remember correctly the order is: Silvermont, Airmont, Goldmont, but I might be mixing up Air- and Goldmont, in which case mea culpa.
      I only listed the points where the architecture changed, though I omitted Goldmont+. I don't count the node-shrink generations.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty, here are some good resources:
      Gemini Lake now benchmarks pretty well against an old Sandybridge laptop i3, at a fraction of the power consumption.

Comment

I like these fanless mini PCs.

Can you guys help me a bit comparing the performance of the Fitlet2 to my current mini PC?
        That is a Zotac Zbox ID83 with the following CPU Intel Core i3-3120M @ 2.5GHz x 2. It has 12GB RAM and 205GB SSD. I am using it under Linux Mint and also Windows 10 with dual boot for surfing, primarily. (interestingly, I used it first with a single Kingston 8GB module and later added a 4GB module. I also tried with only the 4GB module. I didn't really feel a performance difference between 4, 8 or 12GB RAM)

The Zbox though has a very irritating Fan.
        How would the Fitlet2's performance compare to this?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by ajax999 View Post
          I like these fanless mini PCs.

Can you guys help me a bit comparing the performance of the Fitlet2 to my current mini PC?
          That is a Zotac Zbox ID83 with the following CPU Intel Core i3-3120M @ 2.5GHz x 2. It has 12GB RAM and 205GB SSD. I am using it under Linux Mint and also Windows 10 with dual boot for surfing, primarily. (interestingly, I used it first with a single Kingston 8GB module and later added a 4GB module. I also tried with only the 4GB module. I didn't really feel a performance difference between 4, 8 or 12GB RAM)

The Zbox though has a very irritating Fan.
          How would the Fitlet2's performance compare to this?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
          Install http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

Then run phoronix-test-suite benchmark 1803094-FO-FITLET2CO19

and then you have all the real, direct comparison answers yourself.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X