Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

240GB resource, much faster then any nvme, yet only $20 more than a 250GB Evo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240GB resource, much faster then any nvme, yet only $20 more than a 250GB Evo?

IF ...

Not for all, but many.

Nvme prices are $70 US for 120GB corsair & $119 US for evvo afaik on newegg, the cheaper corsairs nvmeS are almost two for the price of one, but they are nothing like half as fast - and often almost equal.

the key relative metrics for the role i have in mind, imo, are:
    Read
    Peak Sequential Read Speed
    2843 MB/s Much faster peak read speed.
    +39%
    2051 MB/s
    Write
    Peak Sequential Write Speed
    1255 MB/s Slightly faster peak write speed.
    +6%
    1188 MB/s
    So if we can get almost double the right column for only a little more, we are way in front.

So for those with the spare nvme ports and raid ability, its a cheap and powerful scratch file to add as a system resource.

The prevalent intel chipsets (z170?) which provide multiple nvme ports come to mind. A pair of cheap corsairs can pretty much saturate the 4x chipset lanes, so no point spending more, but thats still very good by single nvme standards.

Moving uptown, for those with lanes spare (like threadripper), multi nvme raid arrays with speeds approaching RAM become affordable.

A ~$50 msi/asus/gigabyte 16 lane 4x nvme port adapter and 4x $70 nvmeS yields an awfully fast array.

As above, a quad corsair raid 0 array on TR should theoretically yield about 8200MB/s read & 4800MB/s write, and cost $280 in drives.

4x evoS, = 11000MB/s & 5000MB/s write, & cost ~$480,

or 3x evos = 6150 MB/s & 3750 MBs write for $360- considerably less speed for more money.

As most TRs include 3 native nvme ports, a popular choicecould be 3x corsairs for a lousy $210, yielding 6150MB/s & 3600 write.

A bonus is the corsair uses the much preferred mlc nand.

It bears noting that multiple drives means multiple caches, so the effects of gimping economies on cheaper drives are often negated byt teaming them.

I hope these notions pan out to be practical help for some. My way of saying thanks for the info you have all shared w/ me.

You can compare the specs of both drives here:

Based on 252,104 user benchmarks for the Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 and the Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2, we rank them both on effective speed and value for money against the best 1,072 SSDs.
Working...
X