No announcement yet.

A Linux Kernel Driver Is Being Worked On For Valve's Steam Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like using xboxdrv because it unifies management of all your controllers and has a nice slotting feature. I did try to add support for the Steam controller but while I managed the basics, I couldn't quite figure some things out like rumble and power off on exit. It always worked fine in a simple test but when running under xboxdrv, it would only work sporadically.

Comment

This is great news. I don't think the Steam controller works under Wine, even when it's a Steam game.

I was playing Dark Souls the other day under Wine (which is almost impossible without a controller) and had to reach for my Xbox 360 controller instead since I couldn't get the Steam controller to even switch on.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
        This is great news. I don't think the Steam controller works under Wine, even when it's a Steam game.

I was playing Dark Souls the other day under Wine (which is almost impossible without a controller) and had to reach for my Xbox 360 controller instead since I couldn't get the Steam controller to even switch on.
        I'm pretty sure you can use sc-controller or steam(change the keybindings for desktop mode to match the the game you're playing, kinda a pain, but it works) to play wine games.
        Last edited by chimpy; 20 February 2018, 11:23 PM.

Comment

so the sc uses a slimmed down Bluetooth protocol for latency’s sake. But why doesn’t it have an high latency profile to also connect it to other Bluetooth stuff? You can use the controller on a phone with just otg just like you can use it on linux by plugging it in but it is obviously impractical and not full featured. If the controller could be more easily used without the receiver maybe it would have revived wider adoption?
          Did valve stopped caring about the controller because it deemed it good enough, or because they backed/stepped down from the whole steam machines business just like they put steamos on life support? Or is it just valve taking its valve time to eventually make one of their endeavors actually successful?

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post

If you launch the wine game from native Steam, ot works, with overlay and all and you can have a specific configuration for it on Steam and all.

Unless it's a Vulkan game or you're using DXVK.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Do they have any plans for they future or are the all on vacation to Hawaii?
              No holiday. They work full steam ahead on Artifact.

Comment

Why does it have to be reverse engineered? Wasn't steam hardware all about being open and well-documented?

Comment

Interesting news, I wonder what Valve thinks about it.

I thought force feedback and buzzer were actually the same thing?

Comment

I always had problems with the bluetooth connection , couldn't detect the controller , wired it worked , haven't investigated further (only the controller a few months)

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                      I honestly thought that Valve would do this, back when they joined the Linux Foundation and announced the Steam Controller - at least provide documentation. Hopefully it'll still happen.
                      Originally posted by shmerl View Post

They even promised to open source controller firmware itself, but never did if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                      X