A Linux Kernel Driver Is Being Worked On For Valve's Steam Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Linux Kernel Driver Is Being Worked On For Valve's Steam Controller

Phoronix: A Linux Kernel Driver Is Being Worked On For Valve's Steam Controller

Right now to make most use of the Steam Controller on Linux you need to be using the Steam client while there have been independent user-space programs like SC-Controller to enable Steam Controller functionality without the Steam client running. A new and independent effort is a Linux kernel driver for the Steam Controller...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great news . Sc-controller works really well, but having this type of functionality out of the box will be even better. Hopefully down the line I'll be able to use my steam controller on Android too.

Comment

Very nice. I love mine and I believe this will be useful on those cases were some games ignore SDL and Steam protocols to find and handle controller input themselves, like American/Euro Truck Simulator and Grow Home, resulting on a flawed gamepad support. The later is a lost cause, butt I have my hopes this will allow the Steam Controller to finally work correctly on the truck simulators.

On related news, I hope some enthusiasts will take a look on this puppy and make it work on Linux:

Comment

Why isn't valve writing such a driver?
        But nice work anyway.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
          That's great news . Sc-controller works really well, but having this type of functionality out of the box will be even better. Hopefully down the line I'll be able to use my steam controller on Android too.
          While the Steam Controller has a bluetooth receiver, Valve has never enabled it and its unlikely they are going to considering the controller is 4+ years old now.

Comment

Cool. Valve should have provided it to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Why isn't valve writing such a driver?
              But nice work anyway.
              They even promised to open source controller firmware itself, but never did if I remember correctly.

Comment

I honestly thought that Valve would do this, back when they joined the Linux Foundation and announced the Steam Controller - at least provide documentation. Hopefully it'll still happen.

Comment

Do they have any plans for they future or are the all on vacation to Hawaii?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

While the Steam Controller has a bluetooth receiver, Valve has never enabled it and its unlikely they are going to considering the controller is 4+ years old now.
                    I agree with you, but at this point I'm willing to settle for using the controller wired.

Comment

Working...
                    X