Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus ROG GL702ZC - Ryzen CPU, a good idea ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azultra View Post
    fans went up to 100%, and have been stuck to 100% since then, making my laptop sound and vibrate like a vacuum cleaner all the time, even in the BIOS settings, despite every temperature being less than 35°C.
    Wow, I wish I had read that before I order my laptop. This sounds like some hardware/firmware design flaw. Did you RMA it, or could you solve it in another way?

Comment

Originally posted by tocsa View Post

Wow, I wish I had read that before I order my laptop. This sounds like some hardware/firmware design flaw. Did you RMA it, or could you solve it in another way?
      It took 3 weeks for French Asus support to tell me that, yeah, I'll have to RMA it if a factory reset doesn't work. That was 3 days ago, I'll backup my data this week-end, do the reset which probably won't change a thing, and prep it for RMA next week.

And they didn't give me any additional info, whether they contacted the engineers who designed the motherboard or wrote the SMM code, etc....

Comment

Really sorry to hear that it's still like that. This laptop is almost perfect for software development (except deep learning and GPU intensive stuff) in my eyes. I'd try to disconnect the battery **and** also the CMOS battery. Basically everything which is a battery inside the case. If it's not a hardware failure, then a faulty value must be stored somewhere, and although I don't give super high hopes, but worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Azultra View Post

It took 3 weeks for French Asus support to tell me that, yeah, I'll have to RMA it if a factory reset doesn't work. That was 3 days ago, I'll backup my data this week-end, do the reset which probably won't change a thing, and prep it for RMA next week.

And they didn't give me any additional info, whether they contacted the engineers who designed the motherboard or wrote the SMM code, etc....
          After reading more about the issue it sounds like some circuit fries. Keep us updated about how your RAM goes, it interests me.
          I made some photos over the weekend about my machine, which I got just a couple of weeks ago. It has cooling over the GPU memory, plus I have heat conducting foam over the NVMe SSD. I had a choice of going with Amazon or ExcaliberPC and the latter allowed memory upgrade and also I could specify the exact brand/model of the SSD (unlike the one on Amazon - which I think is fulfilled by the some company).

Comment

Please avoid any flame war, GL702ZC is mentioned in the news related to the mysterious new flaws by CTS Labs: https://www.extremetech.com/computin...m_medium=title
            Let's prepare the popcorn and wait to see what CTS Labs cooked - a company who shorts the stock of the company it targets. Interesting that they didn't short Intel stock given wide use of Asmedia on their end as well.
            Yesterday, we had a very productive phone call with CTS-Labs, the firm behind the "AMD Flaws" critical security vulnerabilities exposé of the "Zen" microarchitecture. Our questions focus on the practicality of exploiting these vulnerabilities, and should provide more insight to the skepticism...

Comment

Working...
            X