Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Powered CachyOS Adds Bcachefs Installer Support

Phoronix: Arch Linux Powered CachyOS Adds Bcachefs Installer Support

Arch Linux derived CachyOS is known for its aggressive performance optimizations and running well on modern hardware. It's also leading when it comes to adopting other new Linux/open-source features. With this weekend's May 2024 ISO update, CachyOS has rolled out initial support for installing to a root file-system based on Bcachefs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Been running bcachefs as root on my tablet for a while and it's been a smooth experience. when I reinstall it I think ill look at cachyOS since it seems to actually be doing something different enough to be considered a unique distro

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Been running bcachefs as root on my tablet
      That sounds good. Ive tested it locally also and did not face heavy regression yet on the 6.8 Kernel.

Comment

Losing your data has never been made so easy before.

Comment

Wish they'd use the effort to help Arch upstream with the subarch support, rather than maintain a fork.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
            Wish they'd use the effort to help Arch upstream with the subarch support, rather than maintain a fork.
            We have tried to upstream a bunch of stuff, most got declinded (mainly in pacman).
            For example:
            Automatic detection for the CPU Architecture for pacman, so that packages can be build with the proper CARCH and automatically detected by pacman, if its supported.
            Got rejected, because user's can set it theirself in the pacman.conf ( instead of using Architecture = auto), see: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/pacman/...ge_requests/52
            rpm has a equal feature for that.

Adding a pacman info with "Installed from" This adds info, from which repo this package gets installed, got also rejected by pacman, even though the Archlinux (not pacman) maintainer maintainer was interested in having it - also declined.
            see: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/pacman/...e_requests/150

We are actually reporting all packaging/build issues to arch, which are not related from x86-64-v3/v4 because those get declined.
            Last edited by ptr1337; 13 May 2024, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              hey! haven't you read the big bold statement on the homepage of bcachefs?

"The COW filesystem for Linux that won't eat your data".

🙄

​

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                still waiting for it to happen, at least it's beat btrfs in terms of reliability for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

Automatic detection for the CPU Architecture for pacman, so that packages can be build with the proper CARCH and automatically detected by pacman, if its supported.
                  Got rejected, because user's can set it theirself in the pacman.conf ( instead of using Architecture = auto), see: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/pacman/...ge_requests/52
                  rpm has a equal feature for that.
                  You might have better luck now, since there was an RFC for supporting more arches officially upstream https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlin...ge_requests/32. Might be worth a chat with the devs again about this one specifically.

Regarding the other MR, it is kinda weird, dunno. Maybe the one maintainer just woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

Comment

Just started using CachyOS on a temp linux machine that I am using and I have to say colour me impressed (I previously used Manjaro). The laptop is running like a breeze, zero issues with graphics (dedicated nvidia discrete GPU with intel hybrid graphics). Will also try switching to Wayland once all of the relevant explicit sync changes land.

The only real minor issue I have come across so far regarding theming not working in the CachyOS package installer, filed an issue at https://github.com/CachyOS/packageinstaller/issues/3.

On topic looking forward to trying out BCacheFS once I do my desktop upgrade, thanks for being aggressive in this as it will greatly increase the usage of the filesystem helping to get it into a better state.

What would be really interesting is if there was a CachyOS Asahi derivative specifically for the macbook M series
                    Last edited by mdedetrich; 13 May 2024, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X