Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Open GPU Linux Kernel Driver Will Soon Be The Default For Turing & Newer GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Open GPU Linux Kernel Driver Will Soon Be The Default For Turing & Newer GPUs

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Open GPU Linux Kernel Driver Will Soon Be The Default For Turing & Newer GPUs

While we are all waiting for the NVIDIA R555 series Linux driver beta that is expected to debut as soon as next week based on prior information with Wayland improvements (explicit sync) and more, with the NVIDIA R560 series Linux driver successor is a very interesting change: NVIDIA is planning on defaulting to using their open-source GPU kernel driver by default for GeForce RTX 2000 "Turing" GPUs and newer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm already using the open nvidia Module. Because the closed one crashes on occasion which the open Module does not.

Comment

Really good time ahead for nvidia users, gaming wise and wayland wise. Oh, and kernel 6.10 adds ntsync too, even more awesome for gamers in general!

Comment

wait does this mean that nvidia will no longer be a module and it will work with secureboot?

Comment

Great to see some positive news from nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
            wait does this mean that nvidia will no longer be a module and it will work with secureboot?
            It is still out-of-tree module.

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
              The closed source binary driver has long worked with secure boot. How annoying that is to set up just depends on your distro. Some will automatically create the key and sign the driver, you just have to add the key in mok manager once during the first reboot after installation. On other distros it can be much more manual.

Comment

now we just need userland and NVK to run on the same driver.

Comment

besides a few feature caveats such as some power management differences.
                  i wonder if the opensource driver will have same power management as proprietary driver

Comment

I won't even pretend I understand what NVIDIA is doing because their open source driver still misses some crucial bits and pieces.

Comment

Working...
                    X