From The Phoronix Test Farm This Easter
Happy Easter, one week from May Day, 146 day countdown to Oktoberfest, or whatever occasion you may be celebrating today. Here's some of the Phoronix Linux tests being carried out today.
- Tracking down the big Linux power regression. This is the big test going on today. See: Mobile Users Beware: Linux Has Major Power Regression and The Tests Showing Ubuntu 11.04 On A Power Consumption Binge. The regression taking place between the 2.6.37 and 2.6.38 kernels is still being bisected. Still hoping to have the issue figured out today and a report about it on Phoronix tomorrow. Stay tuned to my Twitter feed where I've been answering questions and providing real-time updates.
- Another updated comparison of Catalyst, classic Mesa, and Gallium3D drivers spanning multiple generations of Radeon graphics processors.
- Ubuntu 11.04 Bootchart results for five mobile systems going back as far as Ubuntu 8.04 LTS results.
- Reviews of the Sapphire Pure Black P67 Hydra motherboard and a SilverStone Strider Gold 750W power supply.
- Phoronix Test Suite 3.2-Grimstad and OpenBenchmarking.org Live enhancements.
- Open-source Gallium3D performance results for Radeon HD 6570, Radeon HD 6850, and Fusion hardware depending upon whether the Radeon DRM bugs get worked out in time.
Plus a few other surprise articles are being worked on. As I'll be out of the office for most of May due to the Ubuntu Developer Summit, LinuxTag, etc, there's a number of tests being worked on in advance. Unfortunately, discovering this Linux power regression just before leaving doesn't help.
The Phoronix Easter Bunny has also dropped Alex Deucher & Co an upstream bug report this morning for the Radeon HD 6000 series bugs I've been talking about on Phoronix for a number of weeks. As of the Linux 2.6.39 kernel code today, it's still broken. Bugs 36542 covers this with the GPU reset and then also Northern Islands GPUs being stuck in an endless loop of soft-resetting from Nexuiz.
Latest Linux Hardware Reviews
Latest Linux Articles
Latest Linux News
Latest Forum Discussions