Shuttleworth On Google Go, Unity 8, Ubuntu Phone, Etc
At this week's virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit besides saying Mir will be the default on the Ubuntu desktop by 16.04 LTS and also saying systemd will be used when it's hardened (again by the 16.04 LTS time-frame) Mark had some other interesting comments.
For those that didn't watch the hour-long video stream (embedded at the end of this article), here's some of my notes from Mark's vUDS keynote on Wednesday:
- HTML5 apps and "the Ubuntu app story" was heavily praised by Mark, as would be expected. Ubuntu's convergence strategy was also heavily promoted.
- The Google Go language is great, Mark feels; Canonical is using Go a lot internally. "A fantastic new language," says Mark. Go will also be supported on Ubuntu for mobile devices.
- Mark calls Ubuntu's web-browser the best in the world.
- Mark encourages users with extra PCs to build their own Ubuntu-powered OpenStack cloud.
- "Our mission is to make everything easy." He's very excited about Ubuntu in the cloud and JuJu for now making everything easier for administrators.
- Mark admits there are improvements warranted for Ubuntu One and says their ideas are right but their execution wasn't necessarily the best.
- Mark is excited to run Unity 8 on his own hardware but admits many applications he likes will be "horribly broken."
- The Ubuntu Phone app that Mark spends the most time using on his phone is the Sudoku app. The BBC news web app and Google+ also are among his favorite apps.
- Mark responded to a question about Ubuntu as a rolling-release distribution... It's sort of becoming that way with shipping new Ubuntu Touch images as soon as they clear QA. "The beginning of a brave new world how we deliver software."
- Mark was disappointed the Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding phone didn't become a reality. He says there's now other phone vendors employing hardware concepts spearheaded by the Edge into their own devices.
- Mark says Ubuntu is still the best development environment for developers.
Latest Linux Hardware Reviews
Latest Linux Articles
Latest Linux News
Latest Forum Discussions